Morning Glories 2021 #01

Gautier, MS

We've had a lot of rain last couple of days. It's been cold today, probably forthe next couple of days too.
Glad you were able to get the plastic up Jackie. I guess sometimes it's hard to get others to give a hand. At times I just do what I can too since it's such a hassle to get help.
That is a neat moth you have. Pretty wildflower and I think chachamaru mg. Your other plant has pretty neat leaves, I tried growing shoo fly plant without success.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Helena,. Yes that's Cha Cha Maru.
Getting down to 14 here tonight.
Tuesday our high's will be in the teens.
My shoo fly does better if I plant the sds and forget them.

Gautier, MS

Those are the kind of seeds are really good, letting them come up when they please. I haven't paid attention to the last batch of purps and higes until this morning. They are popping up even with the cold temps in my portable gh.
I took 3 pics of them. The biggest seedling is one I rescued from the ground. I might see more with all the rain we had.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Amazing your sds are sprouting in the colder temps ,The purps do prefer cool temps
so maybe not surprising,.
Our temps will not get above freezing until this coming Saturday.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, Ik. My seeds do have some protection from the plastic cover. I'm surprised too how my queen anne's lace seedlings are still growing nicely. This pot are the seeds that I bought online. But I'm still amazed where all the others that are showing up in the dirt pots from plants I grew last year. It's pretty cold here this morning too. But for sure you get a lot more colder weather.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, your queen anne's lace is looking good..
Worried about my g house plants, going down to 0 tonight
Its having trouble keeping the temps in there 30 degrees more than the outside tempo, spells disaster for my tropicals.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I hope your plants did ok and survived the cold temps.
February has proven to be our worst and coldest month. It only takes one or 2 nights of freezing weather to kill all the plants back. Ours got around 21 degrees last night and its 23 right now. I can't imagine what 0 degrees feels like. I haven't checked my plants in my gh for a couple of days. Now I'm worried about your plants.

Helena, hubby said it did get down to -3 last night. It was 15 yesterday and when I checked the g house, it was about 45 inside
. I dread going to look worried about what I might find but I will here in a few. The rolling blackouts have me worried too since 2
of my heaters are electric. I need a more powerful gas heater than what I've got.
Hubby said he will look at putting up something permanent to be my liner so we can stop replacing the liner plastic every few yrs.

Gautier, MS

Well Jackie, I hope your plants survived another freezing night. hope all turned out ok. It got down to 30 this morning maybe even below that earlier. I did check my plants and watered a few b/c they needed it. That's my problem during the cold days I don't like to go outside to water them when they need it.
I do hope your dh gets to replace the plastic with something permanent. Hope you didn't have the rolling blackouts either. Still too cold here even when the sun was out for a bit.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello ladies. Our internet and cell service is hit and miss. We had a major cold front hit Sunday night, temperatures dropped to 25. We have been without power since then. We cook on the grill, and get in our car to warm up.
City has no clue when power will be back on

Gautier, MS

That's terrible Linda, sorry hear that. Hope your power comes back on.
I know this weather has been awful for a lot of people all over. We are supposed to get more rain here and maybe another freeze coming this weekend.
Hope Jackie is ok.

I;m here. Just had all I can handle trying to keep all my animals fed and watered including feeding the wild birds.
Checked my g house day b4 yesterday and plants were fine at 46 degrees. Didn;t check yesterday because I hate to even open the door. I need a new g house door.
Sorry Linda. I'm not surprised because
Del Rio and most of Texas isn't used to such temps and praying it doesn't happen here. My thoughts and prayers to all the people without power. The worst thing that could happen when many cant put food on the table .
Our temps are going up starting today except for 1 more bitter cold night at 9 degrees. Above freezing tomorrow and in the 60's this coming week. Unbelievable

Thank you. Last time Texas had a storm like this was 1985. We finally got power back yesterday morning at 9:30. House finally got warm enough so we could take a shower. After living in our car for a week, that shower was desperately needed.
Praying neither of you loose your plants.
Stay warm ladies.

Gautier, MS

Hope you are still doing ok Jackie. Work will never stop for us.
Glad you finally got your power back Linda.
Hope things keep improving for the rest of the state too.
We are doing fine here.

Linda, its wonderful that your power is back on.
Helena glad you're family is ok.
Headed to the vet with one of my cats this morning, She either
has cystitis or a kidney or bladder infection. This is one of my outside cats but
she has been staying in since this bitter cold weather started.

Praying it's nothing serious with your cat.

Gautier, MS

Hope your cat is ok Jackie. Hope it gets the meds it needs.
My cats keep us busy going in and out.

Thanks girls. The vet couldn;t see anything wrong with her kidneys but he didn't run the expensive tests. He said she has horrible allergies and some kind of virus but not the covid 19. He wants to give her a steroid shot every month and antibiotics every other month till this clears up so we will see. Long term treatment apparently.

Gautier, MS

Hope the meds and treatment work for your cat Jackie and she or he gets better.
Our pets always need our care.

Thanks Helena.

Gautier, MS

It's a beautiful warm sunny day here. my plants in the green house are doing good.
I checked my purp and higes seedlings and more are coming up and survived the freezing days.
It feels like spring outside. So looking forward to more days like these.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Glad to see the seedlings.
It's warm here too. 48 this morning, supposed to be 80.

I''m envious of you girls warm temps, will be about 60 or 65 here.
We're happy to see the 60's after being in the deep freeze
You're seedling's are doing great Helena.

79 here today.

Linda, we actually got in the 70's yesterday and today. How nice it was.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Linda and Jackie. I'm glad the weather got warm for you Jackie and Linda.
We had a couple of beautiful sunny warm days here but the sun has not come out here yet today. Cloudy maybe we might get rain. I worked outside yesterday. Sowed some seeds and trying to figure out where to plant other flower plants I bought.
Here are my indoor mgs under lights, doing a little better than than the ones outside.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Those are looking good Helena.

Your inside mg's are off to a good start Helena..I need to get a few seeds started of several things I ordered like Lavatera and Abelmoschus. I would like to get some of those going b4 I start on my mg's.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Lind and Jackie.
Another beautiful day here. I did a little more repotting of my plants. I sowed more seeds and soaking more mg seeds but don't know if these are too old to germinate. Hope you start your seeds too Jackie.

I didn't get a chance to start any sds Helena., hopefully soon. Always too much
going on here.'
I should have a double pink Brug open in a day or so, can't wait to see the blooms
and of course I'll send pics. I let it get too dry and it dropped about 5 or 6 buds, smh

Gautier, MS

Hope you get to soon Jackie.
Looking forward to seeing your bruh bloom soon.

Helena, it's starting to unfurl but no color showing yet. The color will have to develop quite a bit b4 it will open,. No sign of any buds on my other brugs.

from 7-08-20
white Mandevilla with pink throat
#3 Curcuma ginger
pretty pink mg
#2 can't remember this one

Edited because my pics swapped places

This message was edited Feb 27, 2021 11:28 AM

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Beautiful blooms Jackie.

Thanks Linda

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms Jackie. I think the name of that 2nd one is murasaki (something) One of my favorites too. Spring is getting closer. I put out 2 hummingbird feeder with fresh nectar today. Hoping they come early this year. I have blooms on my early cherry tree tooo. And now I am in the mood to start more mgs. But I have so much work to do outside too.

Thanks Helena.
Murasaki sounds right. I have tons of work needing to be done outside too, don't know when I'll get around to it.
Can't believe Monday is the 1st day of March. we might even see hummers here by
the last week of March,.

My dbl pink Brug opened .I'll send pics in the morning

Gautier, MS

Cloudy rainy day here. A bit cold too.
Glad your brug opened Jackie, waiting for your pretty picture of it.

Cold day here too Helena.
This is Brug Phenomenal , way too lite now due to the cooler temps in the g house?? It will darken up this summer when I move it outside.
Late blooming Christmas cactus

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Jackie, that brug is beautiful. So is the Christmas cactus.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.