FEBRUARY Challenges/Organizing ourselves/ friends helping friends and sharing ideas...all welc9me

Victoria Harbour, ON

Arenít I organized, starting the February thread right on the 1st.

We came from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1546043/

Was up a good part of the night but decided to do something, while having my coffee I knit another dishcloth, making them larger as I find the size they tell you to knit is a tad too small for me.

Have to make 2 pillow inserts for the last some bunny loves you pillow, I will have done 4 with the scraps but still have a bit more scraps..do I try and make something, throw them away or store them once again??

I am ahead in the sister challenge
Got my 2 January projects done, got into my 1st February project and much more..3 neckwarmers and now 3 dishcloths..

Hope tomorrow to get at the penguin quilt..

Drats, just got a long call from a friend and while gabbing did another 1/2 of dishcloth lol

Time form early lunch, guess who has home fries /ham and eggs to eat

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.
Seems like the more we try to use up fabric, it just keeps multiplying.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I was dropped off a stack of jeans & jean "parts", mostly the lower leg portions of legs. I cut them up and put them away. Much easier to cut them now & discard the not needed stuff than store it all and do at the next denim quilt making time.

Couple of years ago I bought new medicine cabinets for 2 of the bathrooms. Unfortunately I did not check if the shelves were moveable, they are NOT. So some taller items will not fit. TODAY I tried to get in there and cut away one shelf. Unfortunately the tools I had did not work. I have arranged to borrow a friend's tomorrow.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I going to put the remaining Valentineís Day fabric back in a container and remembered a few weeks ago the fixing cut for bench pillow so Iíll see..have all the time in the world with not going out so might as well sew

I also have a bag of beige and browns that I made 3 quilts from years ago and as it sits it grows, likely another quilt in it..you are right Lindakay, these fabrics can and do multiply.. with all the fabrics I was using up I thought for sure there wouldnít be a lot but seems there is..also found a tote that when an area fabric shop was selling groups of fat quarters I bought many, used many but still lots left.

Well that makes life easier getting the jeans the way you did, yep easier to deal with, less bulk

When I was going hockey jerserís first thing I did was cit them up and throw leftovers away, all except those who wanted hockey pillow

Had a bad night with feet, ankles down so only slot off and on.
Iíll get garbage to roadside then maybe crawl back into bed, not something I usually do, maybe stay up and have afternoon nap..

Sure miss my tuesday gals

It has been a year since this covid started, and so many in our area have committed suicide or have tried to. Then there are those that ignore the rules, go out to have fun, and end up bring covid back home, and keep it spreading. There is no good solution.

LindaK, you are certainly right about that. I pray the vaccinations will be a help. I am scheduled for this Thursday.

I would LOVE to schedule a trip to see my oldest son Dana & wife (outside of Seattle about 4 hours away) but likely won't. My youngest Adam is NOT as careful as he should be, he is staying with me several days a week. I don't want to risk being a carrier to Dana & Carrie.

Don't we all wish MONEY multiplied like fabric scraps??

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yes Pat, if $$ multiplied how rich we would be

You are wise not going anywhere..likely I wonít be able to get vaccinated until April or later big sigh

I make sure I donít get family over even though they are cautious, when they do come they sit at the door and I in living room, when they leave I sanitize

Yesterday a new friend brought me apple pie cake she stood outside and sat on patio chair and I inside with door open in -18 weather..so nice to have a human..SHARON came for breakfast and we did much same

I agree Lindakay, people who travel, donít wear masks are prolonging and putting us in danger . I havenít heard about any suicides in my area but 63-64 deaths in barrie and some yesterday in midland so people are dying, serious business and no easy fix

Drland Saturday when he came saida good portion of his calls are for depression, mostly elders.. asked how I was doing, told him if it werenít for body pain Iíd be perfect because I have a lot of supplies and hobbies and Ive accepted that it could be minimum another year!

Once I can get out in my gardens, how happy I will be

Organized myself, went to look for something an found 4 microwave heating foggiest,

Finding projects never end

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Aren't we all glad to have stashes??? LOL

My stepdaughter Rebecca, is planning on coming 2/20 to pick up the roll top desk that was her grandfather's and the secretary that was her grandmother's. Now, if the weather will just cooperate!

Victoria Harbour, ON

She will be thrilled to get such a treasure, hope weather cooperates..

Lost my get up and go..shoulders are paining today..extremely tender where a few needles went in so Iíll just relax

Sun gone in, getting cooler..calling for snow next 3-4 days

Got update on Covid in our region..waypoint in midland had 3 die this morn8ng, another seniors home in Penetang has another outbreak..not the update we were hoping for

Victoria Harbour, ON

Fridayís housework chores, good going over upstairs is done so itís downstairs to do my 4 froggies kits, donít know what I shall do with them but they can always be out in a bin and be Christmas bag fillers

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I need to.find that frog pattern. Think it would help with neck and shoulder pain for both of us.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Mine sits so nicely on my shoulder plus when not using is a nice decorative piece
Decided to nap, will have hot bath then maybe sew on eyes then I can sit tonight and pin tops and bottoms ready for them to be filled

Was pushing myself to get a lot done, asked myself why, with lockdown there will be plenty of time to work on projects, at least till spring is here soooo resting,always tomorrow

Victoria Harbour, ON

Had dr Ho thereby for an hour after hot bath, got pain patches on and meds taken

Did get eyes on froggies and pinned together

Will sew around them in the morning p, fill them with iron oats and finish..

Lindakay I do mine slightly different, they just sew in the ditch, I do that as well but randomly I add decorative stitches

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

You might consider the pellets rather than "edible stuffing". When I had a mouse a year ago, one of the things it found was my heating pad with millet. chewed it open and spread it everywhere!

Victoria Harbour, ON

No, plastic pellets in babiel frogs I make for kids but the state oats keeps the heat in..saw my packages, Hope in have enough..estimated 2 1/2 cups per frog

With the quilt batting and all the decorative stitch sewing Iíve never had any problems..with high temps in micro that usually does them in.

No sandman yet, think Iíll make another cup hot chocolate/toast covered in honey in hopes of falling asleep

OOOOooo toast sprinkled with cinnamon sugar then broiled.... makes yummy crusty sweet coating.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well tonight Iíll be ok, Sharon dropped in with soup, meat pies from my sil Charlene and Chelsea buns. Yum yum

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

If nothing more I got the froggies kits done
Not much else unless I feel better lately, unlikely though lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Those are so cute

Victoria Harbour, ON

Break time, sitting here sewing mini eyes on the 11 penguin to give shoulders a rest..
Tummy says feed me so baked potato, veggie meat pie and gravy will do the trick

Pat, arenít these just the cutest

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

VERY cute. I made some doll masks last year when I gave doll clothes to various friends for their granddaughters. The little Mommy's knew exactly what they were and what they were for! Slapped those masks on their dolls.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Having trouble with my penguin quilt, itís long but barrow, hate it, wondering how it would look with borders just on sides to give it width but not height??

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I keep rice in my bags. I keep them in the freezer so if I need cold they are ready and if I need hot, just a minute in the micro makes them just right. No worries about critters getting into them in the freezer.

Betty, there are plenty of quilts with just side borders, go for it! You have put so much work into it and it's so cute, don't stop short of LOVING it!!

Would have to be pretty crafty mice to get it in the freezer! LOL

I spent 1/2 the day fighting with my sewing machine, trying to free motion. I finally decided the problem was the FOOT!!!! I have 2 spring feet and I changed it out and the problems ceased, after literally a couple of hours of trying everything I could think of, breaking needle after needle.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Havenít had problems with mice and my heating pads thankfully but great idea to keep one in freezer..darn I never use cold then hot except for the ointment I bout that changes from heat to cold on its own for several hours,

Somethings it doesnít take much to have hours of frustration at a machine, now you know what to watch form you will have to mark the feet to know which is the better to use.

Weather liars, here I thought I had a day reprieve from shovelling, nope

So as you suggested Pat, think I will cut out a few gnomes to go with my square blocks and see if I can work it 8n,,Melanie looked at it last night, loves it..

I was thinking of a way to tie the new penguins in & not have to make too many. What if on the side blocks, on each block, you cut 1 penguin to be sliding down a hill? Little arms up in the air, sliding down on their butts? Hopefully only need ONE penguin per block, alternating with your star blocks. I LOVE the quilt!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Problem is the kit came with just enough fabric,worked on it this morning but gave that up

Thing is the 3 blocks I did I had to use white flannel vs white flannel with mini blue speckles in it,,didnít like it, going to try and see if I can fine some block background fabric and try to make a few more block but likely that wouldnít do the trick b3cause if the long penguin blocks..thing itís best I do wide borders on each side if I can find enough

Was liking the offset look but but but

I have faith you will find the answer. It is such an adorable quilt top!!! I remember the Morning Glory top that you didn't like, and I LOVEEEDDD!!!!! To each her own, right?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was that the one I painted wide borders of morning glories? Actually think Iíve still got a length half done

Yes, and combined with something else.... I remember you didn't like it. I think you finished it and gave it to friend/ or family.

Victoria Harbour, ON

One should mark down who gets these treasures..lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Finished that little package of st, Patrickís scraps, not best, just started with inner piece and kept working around it
Iíll quilt tomorrow and thatís it for scraps in greens

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

That's awesome.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Package deliveries today. I now have all I need to start baby quilt # 2. Probably wait until Monday,

Victoria Harbour, ON

My goal was to get side borders on penguin quilt and the backing done...not enough fabric so I made scrap backing..hope to get it finished ready for hand sewing binding tomorrow..

Found knitting books from the 1940ís aunt Muriel gave me, will buy wool, must be 30+ years since I knit a baby outfit I think

Bought the giraffe patter end of last year, not sure if done in pinks /greys it would look ok,

Iíll keep looking incase itís a girl..they will find out next visit if boy/girl so Iíll be patient

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Your giraffe should be fine in pinks & grays. If I was using pink & gray, I would lean towards elephants. They are a popular baby decor choice.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You will sewing up a storm Karen, so nice to hear..how are you today?

Pat both SHARON and I fell in love with the one that was done in fabric shop, most square went from white grey to darker greys..darkest still very light..Iím still on lookout though for other patterns but as I say' until I hear if itís a boy or girl wonít start looking for girl fabrics...this is when I miss my buffalo trips

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Bad night, my own fault. I ate something I shouldn't have even though I love it. Paid the price in the bathroom all night. Still paying. Best not give in to buying any more.
Nice day today 54 and not yet noon. Looks like a porch day.

My favorite 2 definitions of insanity "Doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different result" AND "Knowing what works and not doing it". Don't ya hate getting that lesson again? LOL.... about 8 years ago I drank a berry milkshake. That was the first time in YEARS that I had a milkshake. Although I can get away with Ice cream, milk shakes, NO. I paid for that choice for hours and hours!!! . Frankly, I wish ALL sugar gave me that reaction and maybe I could kick my sugar addiction, cuz I have never been tempted by a milk shake since!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well have to say my downfall is Kentucky fried chicken and still get it from time to time, know it makes me ill but canít resist

Hope tomorrow you will be better

Lordy March tomorrow

SHARON came over and put some lighting over my quilting frame, canít believe how bright. She bought a box, 6 for $100, she put up 4 in her quilting room and brought 2 my order should arrive within a few days then we will put one over each machine..Iím spoilt

Worked all day if you can believe it on that penguin quilt, likely one more to go, Iíll be so darn glad to never see it again

Brought it upstairs and cutting thread ends, had hoped Iíd be sewing binding on tonight but not

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.