MARCH Challenges,Organizing Ourselves and Sharing of ideas...all welcome..

Victoria Harbour, ON

time to move us over isnít it, hard to believe weíve braved it through January and March..

Moved us over from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1546448/

Mother Nature is a tad confused, when I went to town early this morning it was glare ice, almost home and the snow started blowing big time, snow stopped but extremely high winds!

Got my Ďto doí done, washroom tile grout nice and white, ate lunch, defrosting what I will have for tomorrow Tuesday night meal with Greg and Mel..as I only slept about 4-5 hrs last night and keeping busy today I sure need a nap but going to force myself into getting the binding on my quilt, just playing with how wide I want binding, my made binding testing pieces so come in handy(

This message was edited Mar 1, 2021 1:40 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Usually it picks up a photo when I make a new post, not accepting photoís I guess

That is so interesting Karen, you are right, quilts have a life of their own, from shopping for fabric, being given fabric etc. Like the pieces we have made through Covid outbreak, to you Karen just fighting Covid and yet starting a project, to using up our stash..

What tales quilts could tell..

Maybe we should keep a log on the quilt we are making

Off to try my test bindings to see which size I will use

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Betty, your penguin quilt is one of my favorites!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Boy, hackers are on so many threads, brought up February and I think September thread

Yes, and I have been reporting them as fast as I see them!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I found the new thread.

Betty, I never thought of making a different size binding. I always use a 2 & 1/2" strip before folding. I need to try a different width.

yea, the only variation I use is the fake "piping" look.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Depending on the look and fabric I change sizes all except for faux flange..wanted to hand sew this one, Sharon is doing flange on hers

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I haven't done a flange binding as yet. I should try it soon. I think I'd like it.

Glen Saint Mary, FL

What is a flange binding?

Victoria Harbour, ON

If you do not enjoy hand sewing or the look of just machine sewing binding to quilt this might be tad more work but so worth it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGNhbaA-3U

Pleasant Mount, PA

I will be starting a new flower bed this spring. The area has been cleared of weeds and I will be adding compost as soon as the snow melts. How long should I wait after adding the compost before introducing plant materials? Is there anything else you would suggest I add to the soil before planting? Thanks!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now I am not sure on that, perhaps one of the other ladies might know..I do not use composting, should though.. Iím lucky, I empty the pond a few times, once in spring then summer, works better as fertilizer of my gardens

If you work the compost in, it should be Ok to plant immediately. So much depends on how MUCH compost you are putting in & how well "done" the compost is. It it is really broken down well, it should be fine. I always work in the bagged manure & compost into my soil and plant at the same time.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Today Bob & I went to an Alpaca farm, where they sell eggs too - $6 a dozen? Yikes. If the farm we usually buy eggs from had them, we'd get a flat (30) of brown eggs for $4!
Oh, but we did find that they sell alpaca manure, and last summer I saw in their greenhouse that the tomato plants were 10ft tall!! Went almost to the top of the greenhouse, and they weren't on shelves or a raised floor either! We want to get some for this year's garden.

Ouch on the cost of the eggs! What do your eggs cost in the store, or do you just like the farm eggs better?

Victoria Harbour, ON

When not under Covid restrictions Joanne has chickens and usually drops some off. I usually throw 1/2 the carton of eggs away because of expiration date..think eggs I have now get thrown away this week..they vary here I think between $4-5

I jus t finished binding in the penguin quilt..a tad more quilting on it but I can do that here and there...so heavy itís hard on shoulders..if I find a spurt of energy I will put flange binding on the throw and there if March projects done.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Betty eggs last longer than you think. If in doubt you can see if they float. Walt hard cooks ours and then peels them and sets in fridge. The kids will grab them for snacks if they are there and ready to eat. They can also be scrambled, but not cooked. Put into ice cube trays and freeze then pop into freezer bags. Good for cooking or cakes.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Easier to throw away lol dont eat many eggs
When I cook eggs family laugh at me, I go digging out the white veiny section as someone once told me it was a baby forming..yuk

Victoria Harbour, ON

Speaking of eggs, bought a dozen yesterday, lady at till put them on their own in a bag, forgot I had eggs, because Iím using front door because of ice I took all bags and dropped them on front deck..realized I wasnít careful so didnít check, just put the carton 8n bag in refrigerator..wonder when I look how many will be broken

Have penguin quilt in blue for great grandchild, if a girl what do you think of either of these?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I like them both but favor the Blessed one.

I like both but I think the word "Loved" is a little overpowering. I think it should be smaller.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Perhaps id the "Loved" was a lighter color.

That would make a difference for sure.

Those are both beautiful. Will you make them in pinks?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Waiting first for gender but I think they are pretty

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

re: eggs - we buy a flat of 30 eggs for $4. The price in the store is more, for a dozen. Eggs you get in the store could have been stored in a warehouse for 3 to 4 months.

Victoria Harbour, ON

hurrah, no broken eggs

You know there were specialty eggs up to $7 doz. wonder if they are better re health

When I was shopping yesterday and bought brocade white/gray in lighter tones and baby wool I had some quilting needles sitting on fabric, guess they fell into cart and I didnít see them..hope I donít break a needle.

Been busy all morning, should have accomplished more but havenít..few people commissioned me to make a few thinks, Iíve a few things on my day agenda so donít know which way to turn..best I do some scheduling, work best when I have a time frame

This message was edited Mar 9, 2021 12:06 PM

Susan, good to see you posting.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy Susan, you must have a lot of chicken farms in your region for them to be so cheap

I remember as a young girl my dad would take me to one of the islands where there were lotta seagulls and he used to get their eggs and said they were absolutely delicious but this girl wouldnít try it

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Walt really likes duck eggs but They are too rich tasting for me. It's nice having fresh eggs but we often have more than we can use. Then the neighbors benefit. Walt will hard cook a dozen or so, peel them and put in baggie in the fridge. Kids will grab them for snacks if they are there.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Gohhh how many chickens do you have?
When I was on the farm we had dozen, I didnít eat their eggs

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

There are 13 hens. They are Jess' not mine. On occasion I will give them some scraps or weeds but other than that, I don't mess with them. There is a variety so we get a rainbow of eggs. I must admit the fresh eggs are so much better.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Found out today why the eggs are so cheap at the farm - these are culled eggs. Their business is selling eggs to the hatchery, and those that won't be hatchable are usually thrown out. So, they sell them at an affordable price just to provide a service without tossing out good food.
The eggs we got today were less than a flat, because they'd run out of the culled eggs. They'll have more next week. He gave them to us for free, because he didn't have a full flat. Some of them were too large to fit into the egg carton!
Then we went to the next farm (1 min drive) and got 2 more flats. 1 flat went to our next door neighbour, Carol, because she was out, and we got the 1 2/3 flats for ourselves. The first eggs are def double yolked! They're huge!

Susan, you guys must eat a lot of eggs. We are lucky if we go through a dozen in a month.

I am going thru more eggs now due to higher protein intake. I am hard boiling some for the frig to snack on.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is a lot of eggs, like you Lindakay I usually have to throw them away and buy more because they are out of date..I remember watching a show about how to figure out when eggs were actuall layer, then process etc..that caused me to be cautious..once we can meet up Joanne will provide me with fresh eggs..

All this talk of eggs maybe Iíll have egg salad sandwich for lunch

Down here and canít get interested in sewing

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sun is shinning, gorgeous day for outside work but I decided it will be a jammy day!

When itís Sunday and jammy day for some reason Iím full of energy, perhaps as in my married era Sunday meant getting th8ngs organized for Roger,mas he worked out of town, always had much to do and always a big meal so I guess Iím programed and here I am in my craft room, all machines are busy..while I wait for embroider machine to embroider Iím making Easter pillows,trying to figure out a play pillow using cookie sheets, now the top is made I think Iíve figured out the rest, we will see by tonight, itís a make as you go kind of project..have a bit of freehanding on the penguins and cut panel.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Beautiful projects Betty.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks l8ndakay

I have

. 2 frogs
. Easter pillow
. Grandaughters travel tray bag

Today I will try and do the one for her grandson and that commitment is done

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.