Plant Identification - should I be concerned?

Houston, United States

We purchased our home last fall and my wife posted a picture of this vine on her social media site. She was told that it is a wisteria plant that has very invasive roots and to get rid of it immediately as it will damage our home. It is located next to our pool equipment which has a lot of pvc pipe.

I Included a picture of some roots that come to the surface and then go back underground - Iím not sure that the roots are from this vine, but the vine is the closest plant to this root system (the pictured roots are about 10-15í away from the vine).

If the root system is not likely to cause damage to the nearby underground pool piping or our home, I would like to keep this plant.

I would appreciate advice on the type of plant I have and if I should be concerned with the root system. I am a new member to this forum.

Thanks,
Possum4

Thumbnail by Possum4 Thumbnail by Possum4 Thumbnail by Possum4
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Wisteria are vigorous growers, and will produce ample above ground and below ground plant parts. Only you can decide whether you want that sort of plant in your landscape.

The root protuberances you have shown sure look like the behavior of Bald-cypress (Taxodium distichum), which form these structures known as "knees" from their otherwise normal roots.

Are there any such trees within 50 feet of these structures you've shown? If you cut these off, you will be damaging that tree.

Houston, United States

My neighbor has a bald cypress tree next to our property. I appreciate the advice about the root system.

Do you have any idea what type of wisteria plant this is? I have heard that the American varieties are not as invasive as the Chinese or Japanese wisteria.

Thanks,
Possum4

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That looks like one of the native North America species, due to the more "stubby" flower form instead of the much longer flowers typical of Chinese or Japanese Wisteria.

That said: I have grown, and am currently trying to eliminate, one of the North American forms from my property - Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls'. It hasn't seeded in, but it has sent runners all over the place at an alarming rate, and it has no trouble twining its way up into the canopies of trees and shrubs alike. I should have planted it in a fenceline out on the back forty where there is nothing it can harm.

Alas, I didn't. Your mileage may vary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.