SOLVED: Found this hidden plant under an evergreen - is it a weed or should I keep it?

Oxford, United Kingdom

I have no idea what this is. I will be pruning the evergreen, so I could keep this plant.

Any help much is appreciated.

Thumbnail by Orange349
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Not sure. Perhaps a cohosh?

Oxford, United Kingdom

I wonder if it is one. They have some varieties of cohosh here. I could wait for it to flower then see.
https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?CFID=0beac9a5-eaea-439d-9f2d-ce209afecb1e&CFTOKEN=0&pl_id=1071
It's self sown, I am almost sure.
I wonder if I should keep it, whatever it is.

There is native black cohosh in the wooded area of my property. The leaf structure looks similar but I am doubtful. What species grow in your part of the world?

The notion of an English cottage garden loaded with perrenials is rather appealing. I would not remove plants until you confirm identities. It seems you have acquired a wonderful garden legacy. Lucky you.

Many thanks in re: the honorary DPhil granted. It's been a dream of mine.

Groveland, FL

It could be a Geum.

Oxford, United Kingdom

Yes, maybe it does look more like a Geum. If it is that, it could have yellow flowers, and I think it's seen as a weed.

Oxford, United Kingdom

There's a picture here of one with yellow flowers. The leaves do look like mine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geum_urbanum

I think nel5397 has it. Geums are cultivated here and not considered weeds.

Oxford, United Kingdom

Interesting, thank you both. Now I have to decide whether I will name it a 'weed' or not.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Most Geum plants that pop up are considered weeds here as the flowers are small and they crowd out other favorite plants. The cultivars are bought at the nurseries and rarely spread like the wild varieties.

Oxford, United Kingdom

Thank you hcmcdole, that's really helpful. I think it's probably a weed then.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.