MAY Organizing Ourselves, Sharing Ideas ..always a seat should we need to support each other!

Victoria Harbour, ON

We came from here

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1547793/

Does mending and shortening count?
Spent all day yesterday doing so for Rogers brother

This message was edited May 4, 2021 3:39 PM

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Got all the sewing part of my tuffet done. Now I will probably need help wrestling it together. I had a lot of hand cramping just sewing the pieces together.

Victoria Harbour, ON

What colour are you doing it in Karen?

Why are you getting hand cramping

When I was having all that trouble vomiting mr hands would cramp, was even hard to call 911..Said dehydration was causing it

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

mending and shortening clothes counts, just NOT happy work!! At least for me. It's a necessary skill that many people are lacking in. HOWEVER, many of the people who pawn off their work just don't want to learn. If we will do it FOR THEM, why would they??

My hands cramp if I use them too long or stress them over much like pulling elastic & threading thru casings etc.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread Betty.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pat, that's what is causing the cramping in my hands. The trigger finger is bad also. Almost got it fixed but Covid got in the way. Now perhaps it won't bother me so much as I'm not quilting much if at all. I'm getting more comfortable with giving up the quilting. I do still have a few kits and UFOs which I may or may not finish. The kits I can sell and the others are just oh wells.

The class over the last 2 days were skill building on the Epic sewing machine. Learning to apply piping, and the shaping techniques built into the embroidery software. I did not get the "Dream catcher" completed, my ride and I had to leave.

I lost my hearing aids & went crazy worrying about it. The battery had died and I had put them in my pocket Monday at class. Then later, I went to grocery store. When they were no longer in my pocket at bedtime I stressed. I called the grocery store thinking maybe they had fallen out of pocket when I withdrew my wallet from my pocket (I don't carry a purse). I thought MAYBE I had set them in the car. I was starting to give up hope when my ride picked me up & there they were!!! On my driveway! I don't know why I didn't think to consider when I had pulled my keys out of pocket, to prepare to open the front door, they could have fallen out. I WAS SO RELIEVED!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

What a fright Pat, not only are they needed but not cheap to replace.. glad you found them. Not a wonder if they were missing while you were taking a class that you could concentrate at all..was out with my brother today, I was driving and talking, I think I speak loudly but he asked me numerous times what I was saying..think he lip reads

Maybe once you rest and gain strength Karen you will feel like taking on those unfinished projects..

Sounds like a fun class.
I wish there were classes here, for me to learn to use my embroidery machine.
Glad you found your hearing aids.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Just a few of the quilts we saw today at the Smoky Mountain Quilt Show. The last one was made with 1/2" finished pieces.

This message was edited May 5, 2021 9:35 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma

THOSE are so beautiful quilts! I am always drawn to the uneven block style quilts like #1. With those different sashing styles combined.... yep, LOVE them!

YEARS ago I helped with a class and the teacher had me in the BACK of the class. That was the first time I realized that I had been reading lips. With their backs to me I could not understand that the participants were saying.

UGH.... I got up this morning and did NOT empty the DW first thing. I sat and read until I finished my book. I barely got home with the groceries before Sharon came. We planned to work on the side patio & replace the lattice, and put up proper "hangers" for the supports. We did that & then I made dinner.

Dinner was a little more work than normal. I made a version of Shrimp Alfredo with sautťed onions & celery, instead of pasta. Then strawberry crepes for dessert. My kitchen has a mess everywhere, on all counters! I need to finish cooking up the batter and put cooked crepes in frig. My whipping cream didn't get stiff. Oh well.... it all tasted good!

My arms ache from holding up the lattice and using the drill to secure them. BUT!!! We made headway!!! Looks soooooo much better. I still need to put another whole layer so it is secure all the way to the ground, to dog proof it. I need to get the gate made, I have all the supplies.

I am tired and wish I could just go to bed but there is food to put away and I do NOT want to leave this mess overnight so I guess I had better say goodbye!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I Understand Pat. I always wanted the kitchen clean before I went to bed. Now it isn't my problem so I just go up stairs and don't look at it.

Karen, those quilts are beautiful.

Pat, that's a lot of work for a day. Need to pace yourself.

Victoria Harbour, ON

They are lovely, so much work and talent...none are something I would do though..

oh yeah, that's for sure, Pat. I always like to have my kitchen clean before bedtime, so I decided to do it myself to avoid getting nervous the next morning.

Josie, Boyl
https://www.worktime.com/

This message was edited May 12, 2021 5:47 AM

Thumbnail by JossyBoyl
Victoria Harbour, ON

Had a large metal mirror got from mom, itís hanging behind pond..love the look..best she not see it or she will want it back.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wrote a novel..grrr
Where is it??? Saying bad words...
So tired, ma bye after I soak in the tub I will rewrite it
9 hrs of gardening does that

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wanted to say welcome JossyBoyl, do hope you stay with us..
Tell us a little about yourself

So you sew? Craft? Gardening? We all do a bit of everything and always someone who is willing to help and also share projects...

So need a hot bath.,Greg or not, Iím getting in for a soak, if he gets here before Im out he will have to wait or he can look at the flat tire on my garden trailer and tell me what Is needed...I used wheelbarrel all day so major clean up done, likely wonít need it again this year,

As for dishes, seldom and I mean seldom do I have dishes not done..kitchen has to be cleaned before bed..same is I canít function unless bed is made minute my feet hit the floor..

Yes, I generally make the bed before I even head to the bathroom. I refuse to sit on a bedspread so frequently have to fold it back after I made up the bed! I wish my bedroom was big enough for a chair to assist with dressing. Oh well... the 4th bedroom is big enough IF I gave up the 2nd dresser. I have not decided yet.

I really did not get a thing done today. LAZY.

Tomorrow I drive to Yakima (over 1.5 hours) to take Ben's sister to lunch & stop off to see his niece to assist with the fitting of a dress for a wedding.

Have a safe trip Pat.

Victoria Harbour, ON

T.enjoy your outing Pat..

Iím out to put patio cushions on all the sets..been in my closets over winter, 5ime for them to get fresh air..

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Many many years ago when my only niece was getting married, her gown needed to be bustled. BUT she didn't want it done until after the wedding and pictures. So here are my aunt and I sitting on the bathroom floor sewing in all the hooks and loops as fast as we can so she can make her reception entrance. Can laugh now but it sure was frantic then.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Itís memories like that which makes us smile...

Should be sewing but omg when sun is out I just want to be gardening and doing little projects..actually itís being creative just not with fabric 😜

I hid some patio chair cushions somewhere, now to find them

Thankfully the alterations to the pattern that I had suggested over the phone did the trick and I was not needed to make alterations in person. Tina made a mockup in muslin and pre-fitted the bodice, it worked so she was able to complete without my in-person help. By the time I took care of lunch for Ben's sister there was not time to help (I needed to be down the road to pick up a car part for Adam before 5)

Marie & I have a sewing class for the next 2 Fridays. We are going to get our fabric today. Driving to a quilt shop about an hour away, they have some nice novelty fabric that she wants. https://www.wwsvandspas.com/module/class.htm?classId=399226

I love that fabric Pat. Class sounds like fun.

I hope so LOL... Marie & I spend 2 hours in the 2nd fabric shop trying to decide on what she wanted for her fabric. NOTHING can ever be easy.... she wants to use her Loralie sewing theme fabric and that means fussy cutting and framing the blocks to be able to incorporate them into the project. https://www.amazon.com/Loralie-Designs-Curious-Fabric-Panel/dp/B07XM91BY8/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1MTWAWTWIPN9Y&dchild=1&keywords=loralie+designs+fabric+panels&qid=1620583328&sprefix=loralie+designs+fabric+panel%2Caps%2C257&sr=8-6

edited for clarity, Part of the sentence did not print

This message was edited May 9, 2021 9:25 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

That will be perfect Pat, are you excited about the class?

With just maintenance to the gardens now I will have time come rainy days to play..do have sewing but I also have painting to do..

I base coated a board I glued together and secured back in hopes it lasts the summer or maybe 2 I will be able to paint, primitive but something to do..

Iíve the back divided by sky and grass and approx the pond..you canít see but Iíve dimensional dap where the rocks around the pond will be..more light upstairs so I will bring it and paints upstairs tomorrow..right now Iíve a hot bath to soak in..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hmm didnít take the photo, said undefined
Letís try again

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Yes, I am excited. I am hoping that I can find time to play with my machine and come up with a different thing to embroider on it as I'm not keen on the design that we will be given. We'll see....

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Pat look up free standing lace. I had a great time making ornaments last Christmas and hope to make more again this year. A friend has asked me to make something for her. She has done so much for me I'm hoping I can make this for her. As soon as I have exactly wat she needs, I'll start practicing.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Played with a piece of wood to make cartoon version of my garden..not in paint8ng mood, think it will burn along with limbs I put in firepit

Oh no. Don't do that. Save it for another day.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wonít get any better lol

Ya, sometimes you gotta cut your loses. There are times when I am working with a piece of fabric, generally a piece of clothing that I am repurposing for doll clothes, when it just doesn't work. Or I don't like it. Or it just ISN'T worth it! I throw it out and take the garbage out before I change my mind!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Was going to burn it today but wind is too high
Did make it to the burning pile though

Not like you to give up on a project. But totally understand. I have done that too. Not going like I want, and I will trash it.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Waiting for Ann to come over..she is bringing me a pair of mikeís p.j. Bottoms, next week it will be 10 years since his death..as her 2 girls are worried about her and Covid they are not getting together, Ann asked if 8 could make 2 pillows with embroidered hummingbird and wording Ďhugsí

Will give it my best..hope she has enough fabric in the jammies

This message was edited May 12, 2021 3:45 PM

You might have to piece the fabric .

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann brought over 2 pairs of heavy track pants, not feeling 100% today, in bed, nauseated, just took a gravel..she would like them by Saturday, here is hoping I can get the pillows done

Took hot bath, made hot tea, climbed into bed just before 4, am sure I will be up 1/2 the night, maybe then I can start it

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Hope you are feeling better today, Betty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.