SOLVED: Mystery orange tentacles

Wichita, KS

I have two young pine trees planted from small seedlings 5 years ago. This year one has orange tentacle blobs on itís branches, what is it? A parasite or part of tree, see photo.

Thumbnail by NickS2345
Castro Valley, CA

Looks like it is infected with Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae.

https://ask2.extension.org/kb/faq.php?id=455624

https://gardenerspath.com/how-to/disease-and-pests/cedar-apple-rust-control/

Wichita, KS

That sounds bad, should we spry, remove them or cut the whole pine down?

Castro Valley, CA

Sorry, I do not know enough to help. But I picked links for you that included what to do if you had this infection. However if not helpful to you, google Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae and there is a ton of info for you.

Also if you go to your best nursery and seek their advice they may have local knowledge on it that can help in your decisions.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Also, it tells you that you do not have a Pine tree (Pinus sp.), but you actually are growing a Juniper - which is more often called Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana). While this is an unusual fungal infection, it will not kill your plants. I would not cut down your plants because of this. Rather, you should determine whether Juniperus virginiana is really the coniferous evergreen you intended to grow in your landscape.

You should remove the fungal clusters as you observe them, and dispose of in the trash. This will reduce the overall ability of the organism to make more spores for future infections. Regardless, it will always be around, as it is a native fungus that relies on native Eastern Redcedar and members of Rosaceae as alternate hosts in its lifecycle.

Pikesville, MD(Zone 7a)

cedar-apple rust-- but "cedar" is actually a juniper

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Exactly, RxBenson - thus the hazards of common names in positively identifying things in the plant world.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.