SOLVED: Can anyone ID this plant?

Brick, NJ

So I had these plants pop up in five pots this year, they were suppose to be peppers and herbs.

Thumbnail by Kokobean Thumbnail by Kokobean Thumbnail by Kokobean Thumbnail by Kokobean
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

following - very sturdy looking plants for sure. I'll be interested to know too...

Millen, GA

Hello, I am new here and would like to know more about my plants too, thanks

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Looking like eggplants.

Edited to ask where the seeds were obtained.

This message was edited May 27, 2021 12:36 PM

Brick, NJ

I had planted shishito pepper seeds that a friend had given me, oregano seeds from a packet- I donít remember the brand, mild jalapeŮo, impatients and I had mum/daisy-ish seeds that I took from flower in the fall which I donít remember what it was. But these came up in quite a few pots and I was yanking them out till they really started to grow and what I had planted never came up.

It's definitely looking like a nightshade which includes the pepper, tomato and eggplant families. Eggplants are the only one of those three with fuzzy leaves. There are also nightshade weeds with fuzzy leaves. Some are edible and some poisonous. You'll have to grow and bloom it. Hopefully it's edible and you have plenty of recipes.

Brick, NJ

We have never grown eggplants nor have I cooked them. Lol. I am excited to see what it turns out to be. We walk our dog in the woods here and I have not seen any weeds that look like that.

Here are photos to compare. I have them on hand as long as the season allows. These are in planters at the entrance to my house...food among the flowers. Can you spot the plants with similar leaves?

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Brick, NJ

I had to see where you are from. Iím jealous. You have veggies already!! But yes they do look similar but Iím not convinced itís eggplant. These leaves are fuzzy.

No need for zone envy. Those are older photos. Most produce is from my kitchen garden in Cleveland, GA.. Summer vegetables start coming in around mid-July and three weeks earlier in Atlanta. We are on the southern edge of the Blue Ridge at about 1,800 ft. altitude. Atlanta is eighty-five miles away and warmer at 900 ft.. We are picking spring vegetables now while summer vegetables are coming behind.

Brick, NJ

Hello everyone, I wanted to come back here and let everyone know that I have found out what my plants are! They are Cape gooseberries! I totally forgot that I had bought a small container of them in the fall and they turned out to be really seedy so they ended up in the compost. They are still growing and Iím going to give them a little bit more care now that I know what they are. I would like to make a blackberry and gooseberry jam as I heard it is wonderful. I donít have any berries yet but if I do I will definitely post a picture if anybodyís interested

I tried ground cherries this year but am not having much success. I think it's too warm to grow true Cape gooseberries here. Always have great tomatillos though. Post pics of your progress.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.