How do I mend a broken concrete birdbath support

Chillicothe, OH

We have a birdbath pedestal that broke at the bottom (about 4 inches up) before it begins to taper inwards a lot. I've replaced it with another that I could afford, but it's not nearly as nice to look at.

Can I mend the concrete pedestal? The break is almost completely horizontal but rough enough to give a good adhesive some grip. I've seen Gorilla glue commercials recently that made me wonder if it or some other adhesive would work if I first put the very bottom in its final place, made sure it was level, then set the top part on the adhesive. I don't want to just try any adhesive because if it doesn't work well, it will make anything else I put on it more likely to fail adhering to the concrete.

One thought I had if an adhesive doesn't work is to get a 1/2 inch or larger masonry drill, measure carefully, drill into both pieces as close to straight as possible, then use some cement and a smaller diameter piece of metal and jam the cement into the hole, then the piece of steel, then align everything. A test fit would be done before adding the cement. I don't think it would allow for moving the pedestal by lifting it by the top but if it was left in one final place, maybe it would work?

This message was edited May 31, 2021 4:13 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Try GE Silicone II sealant. It's really a glue. There used to be a lot of crafters posting outdoor projects here and that was the go to product for everything outdoors. I made a tumbled glass and ceramic gazing ball by gluing the glass and broken tile to an old bowling ball. That was a good dozen years ago and it's still intact in spite of having been left in the garden year around.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.