What kind of Oak?

Cheshire, CT

Hello all! I'm new here.

I planted a randomly sprouting little acorn into a peat pot with some good seedling starter. I found it while shoveling rubber mulch for my kids' play scape and took a chance. It's coming up so nicely!

However, Google image search is coming back with utterly unrelated plant types when I try and figure out what kind of oak this little guy is. I'd love to learn more about it so I can find the right spot for it when it's ready to go in the ground.

Thanks so much in advance!

Thumbnail by LarqueSong
Cheshire, CT

Here's a picture of the acorn sprout.

Thumbnail by LarqueSong
Cheshire, CT

And from last week.

Thumbnail by LarqueSong
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

With the bristle tips on the leaf lobes, this oak seedling belongs in the Red Oak group.

As to which species exactly? You might tell us where you collected the acorn, and what mature acorn-bearing trees might have been in the vicinity to have contributed this seed.

Oaks are notoriously promiscuous with cross-pollinating within their groups, so Red Oak could cross with Scarlet Oak, Pin Oak, Black Oak, etc. Your seedling will generate more mature leaves as it grows, and their morphology may give better indication of parentage.

That said: all of the Red Oak group species are large canopy trees. Give your youngster plenty of room to grow up.

Cheshire, CT

Thank you so much!

I'm in CT and that's where this little dude came from, but we got the mulch from a friend (outgrown play scape was being taken down) and I didn't go myself to pick it up so I didn't see the types of trees around. It was a little surprise that rolled out while shoveling into our kids' play area from a truck. :)

I'll make sure it gets a good spot, we have a big front yard area so there should be a nice place for it there.

Much appreciated!

Quote from ViburnumValley :
With the bristle tips on the leaf lobes, this oak seedling belongs in the Red Oak group.

As to which species exactly? You might tell us where you collected the acorn, and what mature acorn-bearing trees might have been in the vicinity to have contributed this seed.

Oaks are notoriously promiscuous with cross-pollinating within their groups, so Red Oak could cross with Scarlet Oak, Pin Oak, Black Oak, etc. Your seedling will generate more mature leaves as it grows, and their morphology may give better indication of parentage.

That said: all of the Red Oak group species are large canopy trees. Give your youngster plenty of room to grow up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.