SOLVED: Tomato or Toxic Nightshade?

Kenosha, WI

I had cherry tomatoes and regular tomatoes in my raised bed last year. This spring I went to clean out the raised bed and started pulling what I thought were weeds. But on some of them I noticed at the end of the root was a dried up tomato skin. So I assumed they were ok to keep. The leaves didn't look like tomatoes to me, and now they have small white flowers, instead of yellow like I'm used to seeing. I've seen a couple threads in here that are leading me to believe that I need to yank this sucker out of my garden, but I'm just not sure. Hoping someone here can help!

Thumbnail by amandaformaro Thumbnail by amandaformaro
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Not a tomato.

Kenosha, WI

Is it one of those dangerous nightshades?

Bretten, Germany

Compare with Solanum nigrum.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, it very well could be S. nigrum. It favors disturbed landscapes like roadsides and gardens. I usually pull a few dozen each year. Probably seed spread by birds or rabbits.

Amandaformaro, while many nightshades contain varying levels of potentially toxic compounds some animals can eat the plants and berries without ill effect. They are rarely fatal to humans unless a large quantity is eaten and can be easily weeded. Some people develop a rash from handling so wear gloves. Meanwhile, the two "toxic" derivatives, scopolamine and atropine have medicinal value. We used to use scopolamine routinely in labor and delivery as an amnesiac. There are better alternatives today that exclude "unconscious" birthing. It's still used in surgeries though. Atropine is used by ophthalmologists to dilate the eye and by cardiologists for various cardiac events. It's always on crash carts in ICUs.

Kenosha, WI

Thank you all so much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.