Trumpet Vine

Spring Branch, TX

I have a large trumpet vine, large when I mean 10 feet tall and 5 feet wide at the top. Now there is a small vine coming out of the ground about 10 feet away. I believe it is from the mother plant. The leaves are the same pattern but they are quite a bit smaller than the "what I know to be a trumpet vine". Also, the leaves on the "baby" plant besides being smaller, the vine is not very full. For those that know, is this in fact a baby from the mother plant? I have taken a lot of time and effort training it to climb a trellis and would love the shade it would provide on my back porch. Otherwise I wasted a lot of time and growing season on nothing. Thanks.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2021 2:37 PM

Thumbnail by Texas001
Spring Branch, TX

This message was edited Jul 11, 2021 4:45 AM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, it is but beware! I have a similar size vine that's been trained against a wooden fence outside my vegetable garden. It's about twenty years old. The vine sends runners in every direction with roots more than a foot deep. I am now resorting to herbicide to prevent its escape up a hillside while hand digging what comes up in the garden. Vines regularly emerge through the dirt floor of my garden shed. It's very invasive.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's a close up of the leaves on a trumpet vine. It looks like yours. How long have you had the parent plant? Is this the first time it has sprouted a new one? If this is the beginning of it sending out runners, you might consider putting in a wisteria or something less invasive.

Off topic...how's 'Lil E? Probably not so little any more. They grow so fast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.