Cristate form of possible Cleistocactus species

Downham Market, United Kingdom

I have had a cristate cactus for about 15 to 20 years from someone else's collection. There are one or two normal forms growing from one side. It has now flowered from one of the normal forms for the first time, and the flowers are red, long and closed. It was originally labelled as Notocactus lenninghausei cristatus, but I am now seriously doubting that identification. I would like to know if I do in fact have a Cleistocactus, and which species could it be?

Thumbnail by rjbarnard Thumbnail by rjbarnard Thumbnail by rjbarnard Thumbnail by rjbarnard Thumbnail by rjbarnard
Castro Valley, CA

That plant is so cool!
Looking at the flower, I would say it is a Cleistocactus. Though my cactus smarts do not exist. But Cleistocactus are pretty common.
Look at Cleistocactus samaipatanus.

Downham Market, United Kingdom

Thanks for that info ZilyZily, but the flowers on my cactus are a lot thinner than Cleistocactus samaipatanus. I've been scouring the net for images and found ones which look right for both flower colour & size, and for shape and colour of the cactus itself. It resembles Cleistocactus icosagonus, but I guess only an expert in this Genus would be able to say.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.