SOLVED: Plant I.D.

Winter Haven, FL

This showed up in my indoor planting bin, where I had placed some onion starts from an online order. Is it a weed, or a wayward veggie mixed in with my onion order.It is about two feet tall with a pinkish green stalk and pink veins in the leaves .Kind of pretty, but eating up my good soil if it is a weed.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2021 4:09 PM

Thumbnail by tracyb433 Thumbnail by tracyb433 Thumbnail by tracyb433 Thumbnail by tracyb433
Castro Valley, CA

My first thought was it is an impatiens of some kind. Not the common Impatiens walleriana but one of the other species. There are so many. They are so easy to grow by seed. I have volunteers all over. I love them.

Maybe an Impatiens balsamina?

Look for 1 that has alternate leaves.

Winter Haven, FL

Thank you!

Bretten, Germany

Could it be some sort of Amaranth?

Winter Haven, FL

Quote from suse :

In looking at online photos it is quite similar to "Green Leaf" Amarantus Caudatus. The plant is quite leggy due to lack of direct sunlight . But the Green Leaf does have leaves and stalk quite similar to this plant. There are what appear to be new leaf buds appearing at the base of the upper leaves as well. At least it would be edible!

Winter Haven, FL

Quote from tracyb433 :
Quote from suse :

In looking at online photos it is quite similar to "Green Leaf" Amarantus Caudatus. The plant is quite leggy due to lack of direct sunlight . But the Green Leaf does have leaves and stalk quite similar to this plant. There are what appear to be new leaf buds appearing at the base of the upper leaves as well. At least it would be edible!

Suse, you were correct it is an Amaranth. I moved it outside and it has a pretty pink plume on it now. Good call.

Thumbnail by tracyb433

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.