SOLVED: Mystery plant / shrub - help needed

Baldwinsville, NY

Can anyone help identify this plant / shrub. It was there when we bought the house. It is a perennial and comes back every spring to about 2 1/2 - 3 feet diameter. It never gets any flowers. I would like to know how to care for it... cut it down in fall ??, and how to trim it and when, etc. I have cut it down and it comes back in the spring and I have also let it die off through the winter and then have to remove all the dead stems in spring. We live in Central / Upstae New York with cold winters and lots of snow.Thanks

Thumbnail by plant5678 Thumbnail by plant5678
Lansing, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello, It appears to be a variegated Hydrangea. "Hydrangea macrophylla 'Variegata' " It blooms on last years stems, so it won't get flowers unless last years stems survive the winter. I would not cut it down in the fall, only in spring, if the stems do not sprout.

Baldwinsville, NY

Thanks for your answer. I thought it was a Hydrangea but I never get flowers. I have tried leting it die off through the winter and then just get light tan dead stems with no leaves in the spring that nothing grows from. I remove the dead stems and it just then regrows the same follage from the bottom but no flowers. Also I have cut it down completely and it regrows and still no flowers. Desperate to get some flowers out of it but cant figure it out.

Bretten, Germany

Perhaps this could help, I have found this:
Hydrangea macrophylla Tricolor
The farmer's hydrangeas usually bloom on biennial wood.

Castro Valley, CA

I wonder if the place you have it is not sheltered enough to keep the plant from dying back. Maybe start new plants (easy) and try them in more sheltered spots where the wood would survive over winter so it could bloom. Maybe build a winter box out of wood and thick plastic to cover it before it dies back to see if would make it just a few degrees warmer over winter to keep the wood alive.

Or plant a rebloomer hydrangea so you will get blooms later in the season on new wood.

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

It looks like Hydrangea macrophylla Tricolor. It seems that you are cutting off all the wood that would produce flowers. Cutting it down every year...let it do it's own thing and it will probably flower. By the way, Suse, who commented above, is a champion when it comes to identifying plants. Hi Suse!

Baldwinsville, NY

Thanks eveyone for all the helpfull answers. I have a direction now and I am looking forward to getting some flowers. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.