My three year olds first plants!

Rapid City, SD

Bought these at our local market for my three year old since she’s finally potty trained. They weren’t labeled though, so other than being a succulent for sure in the pumpkin I’m not sure what they are. Would like to know so I can look them up for proper care! Thank you!!

Thumbnail by HandMeDowns
Castro Valley, CA

I used to give my son a Masters of the Universe figure every time he successfully used the potty. On his second day, he learned bladder control so well, he would pee just a bit. Get off then tell me 1 minute later he had to go again. After him doing this 4 times in a row, dumb me realized he had figured out how to game the system. I should have known then I would never be a match for him.

Though I have got to say plants would not have thrilled him as much as they would have thrilled me. LOL

The one with teeth looks like an aloe to me. There are so many mini ones being hybridized I am not even going to look for it. It could be an Haworthia too I guess. I think some of them have teeth too. Or even a hybrid of the 2. Right now I cannot think of another succulent it could be.

The other 1 is a great choice for 3 year old in that it is hard to kill but it can be a bit boring. It may cluster but they do not grow fast or much. The flowers may not thrill either, a bit nondescript. Check out bird's nest sansevieria for a similar pattern to yours.
https://es.gardenmanage.com/statuses/1000156111.html

Both of them do not like to be kept wet, so do not kill them with kindness.

I remember buying sunflower seeds for my boy when he was around 3. He planted them in those Styrofoam coffee cups. After they germinated, we pulled 1 up to see how it pushed out of the seed. When bigger, we then transplanted them into his little garden place. They grow so fast, they held his attention. Each day there was change. Then finally the huge open bloom. I held him up to harvest his prize then we went in and toasted them and ate them. It was such fun! The next year he grew about 4 kinds. But my plan did not work. Years later he stood in my courtyard ablaze in plants and flowers and actually said to me, 'Less is more Mum, you really need to cut back.' A dagger to my heart.

Castro Valley, CA

These is something about those short, chunky leaves on the 1 in the pumpkin that brings me back because that look just does not ring true for an aloe to me. Now I am thinking hybrid. But I have limited knowledge other than seeing tons of photos over the years. Maybe even a gasteria similar to Gasteria nitida or even the hybrid between the 2, a gasteraloe. All I believe like similar care.

Rapid City, SD

Her big sister and I have many plants between the two of us, and she has been begging for one of her own. It was easy to use it as incentive in the end, lol!! She’s been potty trained during the day for a good two years now, it was just the night training that has taken so long. Thank you for your answers! Went to the same store last night and found this baby to add to the collection, I may have a problem. 😬

Thumbnail by HandMeDowns
Rapid City, SD

Quote from ZilyZily :
These is something about those short, chunky leaves on the 1 in the pumpkin that brings me back because that look just does not ring true for an aloe to me. Now I am thinking hybrid. But I have limited knowledge other than seeing tons of photos over the years. Maybe even a gasteria similar to Gasteria nitida or even the hybrid between the 2, a gasteraloe. All I believe like similar care.

I think I’m the end in is a lace aloe? The only reason I am leaning towards that and not gasteria is because the leaves are textured, not smooth like a gasteria when I research them. Same with the new addition. The tall one does seem to be a birds nest snake plant.

Castro Valley, CA

Looks like you are going to be much more successful than I was. My son is into sports not plants no matter how hard I tried.

That last one looks fake. LOL Once I went direct to the Home Depot cactus shelves. I saw little cactus with blue flowers. I was all a gaga till I realized they were glued on.

What store were these found at? If you find out who they buy from them, you can google them and might find their catalog which might ID them. Though usually they go for the less expensive unnamed ones. I have done this with the Altman succulents sold at Walmart and Home Depot.

No, I do not think that is a 'lace' aloe. I think it is a hybrid.

Never enough!! I think you need 1 of every kind they have.

Rapid City, SD

Quote from ZilyZily :
Looks like you are going to be much more successful than I was. My son is into sports not plants no matter how hard I tried.

That last one looks fake. LOL Once I went direct to the Home Depot cactus shelves. I saw little cactus with blue flowers. I was all a gaga till I realized they were glued on.

What store were these found at? If you find out who they buy from them, you can google them and might find their catalog which might ID them. Though usually they go for the less expensive unnamed ones. I have done this with the Altman succulents sold at Walmart and Home Depot.

No, I do not think that is a 'lace' aloe. I think it is a hybrid.

Never enough!! I think you need 1 of every kind they have.

We have fallen for the glued on flower cactus before too, lol! Especially our fairy castle cactus. They are labeled all as a “pumpkin spice”, even on their catalog. Sold by a locally owned family grocery here. They fit a lace aloe to a T as far as descriptions go. Tried downloading a few trial period apps that will identify your plant by picture and they all say that both little pumpkin plants are lace aloe varieties, and they correctly identified my other plants, so I trust them.

Castro Valley, CA

I generally do not use such apps because for me it is sport of knowledge and if this fails, it is the hunt based on knowledge. LOL The few times I have tried the free 1, I can't say it was very accurate.

Lace aloe is a specific aloe as far as I have ever known. It is a fairly common one, Aloe aristata and has specific characteristics. I gather the grower is using the term very loosely, perhaps for hybrids of the Aloe aristata or unnamed varieties. There are a ton of unnamed ones.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61363/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images