SOLVED: ID: Heart shaped leaves, pink trumpet flowers

Dresden, TN(Zone 7a)

HI, This is growing outside my flower garden bed. They grew up to about 2-3 foot tall. Their stems are a reddish/pinkish hue. The blooms open and close. They are not calibrachoa as I have some of those and they are small plants with small leaves and flowers. They are not petunias as I have a bunch of those and the leaves and flowers are not the same.They are pretty and if I can figure out what they are, I am going to look for some seeds and plant them elsewhere next year. :) Thank you.

Dresden, TN(Zone 7a)

it didn't upload my pictures the first time as they were too big. I resized them and hope they post this time. Thank you. Sorry for the inconvenience. Wanda

Thumbnail by Wanderdragon Thumbnail by Wanderdragon
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mirabilis jalapa, aka Four o'clocks perhaps.

Castro Valley, CA

Beware!!! Mirabilis jalapa can be so invasive you will rue the day you did not kill it when you could. Do you have freezes where you are? If not, think a few times about letting this invasive into your life.

They form a huge tuber that grows deep as in I could never dig deep enough to get the tuber all out and it regrows from just pieces of it. It reseeds itself all over.

I have spent days trying to get rid of this but I never will be able to.

I admit in the beginning I was thrilled with them. I still remember on a walk, picking up seeds on a sidewalk, walking back home and just tossing those seeds into my garden. They were fun too because they cross with each other so you get some really cool colors and patterns in the flowers. But then reality hits when they are all over and there is no way to be rid of them.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't think it is invasive in TN. It will spread via seed but not a lot due to winter temps. The tuber does survive but I haven't seen a lot of spreading due to this either. My mother's bed has not seen a large increase in this plant - larkspur and coreopsis seem to be more prolific in the same bed and this bed has been there at least 30 years.

It makes for a good nectar food for the hornworm moth (tomato/tobacco worm).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

After receiving "pass along" seeds from a friend's grandmother many years ago it has not been invasive in my garden either. A huge plus is that it grows on a 3' downhill slope below my main garden that is otherwise difficult to cultivate.

Consider the climate zone difference between those who live in 7a/7b vs. 9 or 10. It may be invasive in some zones and some soil conditions while a nice garden addition elsewhere.

Edited to add I like those yellow and red(?) flowers. I only have pinks and white.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2021 8:08 PM

Dresden, TN(Zone 7a)

I want to thank you all for your answers to my question. Four o'clocks. For some reason I thought those were blue. So I need to get out in my yard and dig the tubers up and plant them in a Pot so I will have them next year and they won't be in my yard next to the flower bed. :) Thank you very much. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.