SOLVED: Please ID

Sunnyvale, CA

I only have this one picture. Unfortunately, I could not get any closeups. This gorgeous tree is growing in Sunnyvale, CA. We have relatively few trees with fall color in this area. Some of these are Chinese Pistachio, Liquid Amber and Ginkgo. However, I don't think this tree is any of those.

Thumbnail by KimmyMZ
Castro Valley, CA

I have no clue but I love it!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

One thing KimmyMZ can do - in the absence of being able to take additional closeup images of plant part details - is to identify the address of the suspect tree.

In this case, the address is inadvertently provided by the big sign in the foreground, and KimmyMZ mentioning the city. Voila! Google street view gives one the opportunity to stroll under and around this plant, albeit not in fall color.

I don't get to spend enough time in California to know a lot about what species are often used for street trees, but I pay attention to what people say and write about. This tree looks like it has compound pinnate leaves with alternate orientation, and the compound pinnate leaves do not appear to have a terminal leaflet. This leaf morphology fits with Chinese Pistache (Pistacia chinensis) and probably other Pistacia sp. Apparently, Chinese Pistache is a favored street tree in parts of California, too.

There are good images here in PlantFiles for comparison, including many from a nearby Scotts Valley CA contributor.

https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57160

Sunnyvale, CA

Viburnum Valley, that is a very clever idea (getting the exact address). I'll keep that in mind next time. You are correct in saying that Chinese Pistachio is a very common street tree here in northern CA - primarily because it grows well and has fabulous fall color. I know what the leaves look like on CP trees, but I don't think this tree is a CP because its leaves appear much larger. But it could just be my picture. Next time I walk by I'll take better closeup pictures. Thanks so much for the brilliant idea of using Google Street View!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.