SOLVED: Texas Invasion

Southlake, TX

I now have about 50 of these plants all over my half-acre property. Leaves are serrated, ovate or elliptical, simple, and alternate with very little stem. I've been chopping up some for years only to have them come back stronger. My only guess is Chinese Elm as we have quite a few of those in the neighborhood. My gut tells me these are something more sinister.

Thumbnail by Hedgenewbie Thumbnail by Hedgenewbie Thumbnail by Hedgenewbie
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Those look Elm-y to me, but your photos are not crisp nor close enough to separate a general statement of genus from a specific ID to the species level.

Chinese Elm is a common name for several Asian elm species. If you don't know which one is in your neighborhood, you may not be able to say which one is seeding into your property.

Both Ulmus pumila and Ulmus parvifolia are vigorous seeders and both could be considered sinister invasive exotic species in your part of the world.

Since you don't want them, and you have a lot of them, cut some off and take them to where you can take some good clear closeup photos of their more minute parts. Take pictures where one leaf fills the frame, of the topside and then the underside of the leaf. Show us clear detail of buds; they occur where the leaf petiole attaches to the branch. All this kind of information can lead to a positive ID, since those details are primary ways to separate very similar species.

If you can take equally diagnostic pictures of the suspect trees in your neighborhood, then we might be able to ID them as well.

Southlake, TX

Thank you for the guidance and wisdom. I almost wanted a Chinese Elm as a more manageable alternative to my Cedar Elms which are simply growing too large and taking too much light from other plants. After cutting or pulling 60 or so of these, I no longer feel that way.
Also, the dozens of Ulmus Parvifolia in the area, though looking far healthier than the Cedar Elms, are vastly different sized (20 to maybe 60 feet) though they all likely came from the same nursery and are all about 20 years old.
First pic is a weed and second if from an oddly still-green branch of a nearby Ulmus Parvifolia. Leaf sizes are identical and larger than Cedar Elm. Shape seems just slightly different but very close. I'm sure these weeds are one of the two you mentioned. I'm closing this along with my good feelings about Ulmus Parvifolia.

Thumbnail by Hedgenewbie Thumbnail by Hedgenewbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.