SOLVED: Not Agastache scrophulariifolia or Salvia pratensis

York, SC(Zone 7b)

This unknown plant seed was labeled as Giant Hyssop (Agastache scrophulariifolia).
This unknown plant has a trifoliate leaf, but all the Agastache scrophulariifolia leaves I can find are single.
This unknown plant has blossoms like Salvia pratensis, but has a very different leaf from Salvia pratensis.
This unknown plant has a sticky blossom stem w' a very nice sweet scent, but no fragrance or taste from leaves or blossoms.

Been trying to ID this for a long time, so any help appreciated.
Thanks

Thumbnail by DannyJoe Thumbnail by DannyJoe Thumbnail by DannyJoe Thumbnail by DannyJoe Thumbnail by DannyJoe
Castro Valley, CA

It is a salvia but I have no clue which one. I have looked for over an hour. But there are only 1 million of them. LOL I love a good hunt so I will look more.

It did occur to me that is could be a natural hybrid and maybe you have 1 of the few of that particular one. There are also a ton of crosses out there, named and unnamed.

I have a guy in Greece who must have 1000 salvias growing in his garden and in his country. I will reach out to him to see if it rings any bells.

York, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your reply. Wow, that's a lot of salvias! Did a search for trifoliate salvia. Closest thing I could find is the Salvia interrupta -- but not full match.

York, SC(Zone 7b)

Quote from DannyJoe :
Thanks for your reply. Wow, that's a lot of salvias! Did a search for trifoliate salvia. Closest thing I could find is the Salvia interrupta -- but not full match.
Guessing we can just call it an unknown subspecies of Salvia trifoliata for now.

Castro Valley, CA

My bad. I got off this thread and my mind went blank. Will ask him now. Sorry!

Castro Valley, CA

Again I do apologize that I totally spaced on this.
This is Salvia miltiorrhiza, a Chinese species which they also use there as a herb (its red roots). It likes semishade.

York, SC(Zone 7b)

Fantastic ! ! Mystery finally solved. THANKS ZilyZily :-)

Castro Valley, CA

LOL! Efeftherios Dariotis is the expert I asked for you! Had I just looked thru all his salvia photos in PlantFiles I would have found the name. He is so nice and so knowledgeable.

Castro Valley, CA

LOL! Efeftherios Dariotis is the expert I asked for you! Had I just looked thru all his salvia photos in PlantFiles I would have found the name. He is so nice and so knowledgeable.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.