Mystery Tree

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

This huge tree is in my friends front yard of the house he just purchased- It is very tall- extremely shaggy, rough bark- leaves look like some sort of maple. Can someone tell is what it is?

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This is one for Viburnum Valley who will probably tell you to include close ups of leaves and branches. Perhaps a shag bark hickory? Very pretty tree for sure!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hi Jo (and MaypopLaurel by reference):

Yes! Step back and take a picture of the WHOLE tree (habit is a great ID feature), and then progressively finer details. That is a great picture of the trunk and bark, and certainly narrows the field. I too suspect it is a Maple of some sort (Acer sp.), but the photo is not definite enough for me to be certain of opposite arrangement of leaves nor what the leaf morphology is clearly like.

You are in the Pacific northwest. Is your friend's tree there also, or somewhere else entirely?

The species I would name - if this tree was growing anywhere in eastern North America - is Silver Maple (Acer saccharinum). If this tree is growing in Washington state or nearby, then there might be the chance of a different species entirely. I could speculate that it could be Oregon Maple/Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) though I don't know if that species develops bark with that shaggy character.

Thus, the overall nature of the tree and the additional detailed information may help settle the matter.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, all- yes, the tree is in WA- probably planted when the house was built in the70's! He thinks he has ID'd it as a paperbark Maple-- it's VERY tall and pretty and dropping lots of "propellors'! He is about 9 miles from me- just about to get moved in, and says I can be his head landscaper!!! He's an avid woodworker, (has a 24x24ft wood shop), so gardening isn't his priority, so I will get to play all I want to! It will be good for me and take my mind off my macular degeneration, which is slowly getting worse--it's very hard for meto read and compute, but as long as I can see to dig dirt and grow stuff I'll keep on keeping on!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes, everything fits with Acer saccharinum - Silver Maple - right down to the vigorous adventitious growth emerging from the large trunks. It may possibly be one of the selections of that species with deeply divided foliage like 'Laciniatum'.or 'Wieri'.

Enjoy your new playground!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's so fantastic to have you as a tree and shrub resource, VV.

Jo, nice to see you posting again. I remember you from my earliest DG years. I hope you have many years of happy gardening.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.