Help ID this pepper please

I started a bunch of jalapeņo seeds and this plant came out of the same pack. Not sure if it is a hybrid or variety that got mixed in. It is quite spicy. Anyone recognize it?

Thumbnail by Zn9b Thumbnail by Zn9b Thumbnail by Zn9b
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

It is a jalapeno, what worries you it may not be one? There are many varieties of Jalapeno plants, https://www.chileplants.com this site will let you see the different varieties. By the way, Jalapenos come in varying degrees of heat; mild, hot, hotter, chuckl, and that scale is called the Scoville Heat Units. You really cannot tell a variety by bloom on a pepper as they are all Capsicum annuum, so they are judged by pepper shape and SHU. Also, you know that jalapeno is the raw pepper, but did you know that chipotle is a jalapeno after being roasted and smoked? Happy armadillo eggs!

This message was edited May 7, 2022 4:12 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have to respectfully disagree. Jalapeņos are Mexican peppers with a historic provenance, even when hybridized. They grow down. Numerous NuMex chilies, as well as small Asian types, grow up. It looks most like a Fresno which is NuMex. Breeding programs there and at Texas A&M have produced thousands of pepper cultivars. It's either a rogue seed or an unintentional cross but it is not a jalapeņo.

Where is the seed from? Is it a hybrid (F1) jalapeņo or from a packet that is supposed to be an open pollinated variety?

Edited to add where is your garden?

This message was edited May 7, 2022 7:25 PM

MaypopLaurel - Yeah, forgot to add these are growing upward which is definitely not a jalapeno. The seeds are from Ferry Morse. It doesn't say any thing about being a hybrid or F1 on the package so I assume they are open pollinated. Thanks for the advice on the NuMex chilies, I'll do some looking there. I'm in 9b, Central Florida.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I give Maypop, didn't look closer

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The history of cultivated peppers is fascinating. Before we had walls or borders native American tribes were developing pepper varieties specific to their tastes and conditions. These are called landrace varieties.

Peppers are a hugely important commercial crop in the Southwest so agricultural universities there, such as Texas A&M and New Mexico State, have programs to develop varieties that thrive in that climate, are disease resistant and appeal to our modern tastes. The landrace seed used in hybridizing programs originated from these indigenous groups. However, most modern "heirloom" peppers, including jalapeņo seed available to us, are open pollinated seed developed through programs such as these over the past hundred plus years but are not landrace. Examples of jalapeņo types would be the large, mild TAM chili pepper ( short for Texas A&M) and the NuMex 'Lemon Spice', a small, yellow jalapeņo.

I'm a vegetable seed saver and grow eight to ten pepper varieties, about forty plants, every summer. Just a hobby. I'm no expert. I've been planting out peppers and Southern peas all weekend. Peppers cross readily in my garden even though they are spaced and there are tall plants for interrupters. I have to reach back to much older seed the following year when things go wonky.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.