NEED IDEAS-Whole House was last done in 1960 SERIOUSLY!

This message was edited Tuesday, Feb 19th 4:00 PM

Mason, MI

Hi Amanda,
Hey, you're not the only one
addicted to Dave's site.
It's full of wonderful folks, isn't it?
Boy, can I identify with your decorating problems!
I too have had (in a previous house)
burnt-orange carpeting, it is hard to decorate
around. If you can take up the carpeting,
paint the floor underneath,
then use an area rug, that would look nice.
You could also stamp or stencil a nifty
design around the perimeter of the floor
to make a faux area rug. I've done this
in the past, it's kind of fun! Then polyurethane over the whole floor when you're done with the design.
Re: your fireplace:
why not try a painted sponged finish
or a glazing technique on it?
Many paint stores have free info on how to do this.
Probably you'd be able to find specific
instructions online, maybe?
I'm envious that you've got a fireplace! :-)
Re: your kitchen cabinets: You could either strip them,
or paint and/or stencil, stamp, or do some other type of
faux finish on them. One friend glued wallpaper inserts
on her cabinets, then framed the wallpaper sections with trim molding. 'Really nice!
Re: your pink bathroom fixtures: If the budget's tight, work with those pink fixtures. Paint or paper the walls
and cabinets, but go for something that tones-down the pink fixtures, yet coordinates with them. Another friend had
the same problem, and she did the walls, shower curtain, etc. to coordinate, and it actually turned out really well.
And, I hear 'ya re: that avocado green carpeting!
We had 25 yr. old avocado carpeting when we moved here,
that looked brand new. I could not deal with the color,
so we replaced it. The cute thing was, we were worried that our trash pick up wouldn't take all of the carpeting at once, so we would put out a little every week. One day someone (not the trash pick up service) pulled in,
a guy jumped out, looked both ways
(to be sure nobody was watching him) and took all of that old carpeting! My husband said: "Hey! If he only would have come to the door, I would have given him ALL of that carpeting!"
I'm still working on my
old home. I'm getting ready to tackle my
paneled family-room/kitchen next week.
With the encouragement (that it can be done!) from the folks here at DG, I'm going to try wallpapering over the paneling with some of that heavily textured (paintable) wallpaper.
Have fun with all of your projects!
Melissa, aka: the decorator wannabe! :-)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I second all of Melissa's ideas. Our home was built mid-70s, with dark paneling, really ugly wallpaper and dated carpeting. We wound up gutting it down to stud walls and subfloors. If you choose to paint over paneling, two things to do first:

1. Use a Tri-sodium phosphate cleanser to remove any grease or residue (You can find "TSP" cleaners in any decent paint department, including Home Depot.)
2. If you plan to fill in the grooves of the paneling, use a good joint compound, not spackling. The spackling is more likely to crack, according to my handyman brother-in-law. (We were going to fill the grooves and paint our paneling until we found several rotted areas from an undisclosed water leak - grrr. It was easier just to tear it out and put up drywall, but we had two adults plus a very helpful and strong teenage boy to hang it. Don't attempt it yourself unless you want to strain your back!)

I would definitely see what's under that carpet and consider pulling it up. Even in the kids' rooms. If it's rough flooring, it can be sanded, painted with some stenciling or faux finish, and sealed. If you need a large area rug, look at selvage ends from a carpet store, and see how much they (or a local service) might charge to bind the edges. We have places in town that will bind carpet for very little money. That can give you a large area rug at a fraction of the price of buying a pre-made one.

I don't know about where you are, but we have "Old Time Pottery" stores down here - they're like Garden Ridge or other home stores, but they run awesome sales. I bought an 8x10 berber rug for our den for $38. I figure at that price it can be trashed if the kids and pets destroy it in a few years.

Cabinets are another one of those easy but time-consuming paint jobs. Take them a few at a time, and TAKE YOUR TIME. If you have a cabinet over your stove or sink that you'd like to use for display or to store cookbooks, just take the doors off the hinges and leave the space open. I did that in one house we rented, and it made such a difference in the way the kitchen looked.

Depending on the cabinets, you can sometimes remove the panels from some of the doors and replace them with glass for a really nice look.

Pink fixtures are tough to work around. But if you have SOME budget here's an idea - a pedestal sink can cost as little as $50 at Home Depot or Lowe's. A new toilet runs about the same. They're not that difficult to install if you get step-by-step instructions (easy to find, but let me know if you need help.) If you need storage space that a vanity is providing, but want to get rid of the vanity, look at buying a free-standing cabinet or cart to set next to a pedestal sink to hold towels, blow dryers, stuff like that. Target carries some nice "European style" glass and chrome shelving units that can be mounted over a sink. Another nice look I saw was bead board paneling mounted around the lower half of the bathroom walls. (This is easy to find at home improvement stores, too and can be mounted with Liquid Nails and/or screws/nails.) Then a 1x3 board was attached where the beadboard "wainscoting" stopped. It ran all along the wall above the sink and toilet, and made a beautiful shelf to hold accessories and even photo frames. Really nice look in a bathroom.

The tub can either stay pink, or look into having it retro-fitted by a company that will come in and put a new tub and surround over the old one. Or there are expoxy kits you can buy and do it yourself, but I can't tell you how easy they are. And the tub would be out of commission for a few days while it cures.

But even if you have to keep the tub pink, you can always hide it behind a shower curtain :)

Paint your walls a nice neutral color - a light gray, sagey green, taupe, or very pale buttery yellow, depending on your tastes and furnishings. Any of those colors is bound to improve the feel of your house, and your mood. I'd choose one color and carry it through the living area(s) and hallway for a continuous feel. Paint the kitchen a complimentary color, and let the kids help pick out colors for their rooms.

Take your time, and have fun along the way. It won't get done overnight, but if you work on it a little bit at a time, it will eventually start to look like you want it to.

And keep us posted on your progress - we're here to cheer you on!!!

This message was edited Tuesday, Feb 19th 4:02 PM

Mason, MI

Hi Amanda,
Pale yellow's a nice choice
for your bathroom walls.
Or, how about a soft, sage green for the bathroom walls?
If you have access to a color wheel, just look for the color that's opposite (on the wheel) from pink. That should help.
If you don't have any books that have a color wheel, just do a search online. Or, oftentimes your paint store will have one to help you.
The next time you're at your paint store, look through their interior wall paint color chips, and find several that look like they're the same pink as your fixtures. Then, bring them home, narrow down the closest match (to your fixtures)
and you should be able to find either the right warm/cool tones to go with your wall color choices, and to help you accessorize! :-)
I have a little purse-sized notebook that I made a few years ago, with all of my room dimensions, window sizes, paint chips, carpet colors, bits of wallpaper that I've used in the house. This way, if I'm out shopping, and find an unexpected sale or markdown, I can tell (in a glance)if the item, drapes, whatever, will "go" in a particular room.
It's really saved me a lot of "second guessing" over the years.
Have fun renovating your home! It's hard work, but
so rewarding when you know that you've done it yourself!
Melissa

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Amanda, yes, if you can find a salvage yard with toilets and sinks, you can find some real bargains. And in some respects Candadians are "lucky" - you can still buy the full-volume toilets new. Here in the U.S. if you buy a toilet, you must buy a low-flush (reduced water usage) toilet, unless you have an exemption of some sort. (Most remodeling jobs can't get an exemption, so new toilets it was for us.)

And does my family ever grumble about these new-fangled toilets - flushing twice is NO savings, LOL! (Although I must say the toilets we bought when we remodeled THIS house fare much better than those our builder selected in our last house. Hmmmm - wonder why, LOL? With a septic system, a low-flush toilet is probably a good thing, anyway.)

If you're really lucky, you might even find an interesting old sink (I'd look for a newer toilet, though.) There are some beautiful old pedestal sinks that are coming into vogue, and I imagine we'll soon see someone mass-producing reproductions. As long as it's in decent shape, a sink can be cleaned and polished with a kit that costs very little money, and will essentially restore the shine and look of a new sink.

Or if you want to try to stick it out with the old fixtures (can't blame you there!) then I would try a sage green, gray, or perhaps a wheat-light butter color. Another color scheme you could try - if you dare - is pink and black. It can be really a really nice color combo if you pull it off.

You'll just have to take home some paint chips to know what goes in there with the lighting, and the particular shade of pink you have. As Melissa mentioned, it's a real time-saver to find a paint chip that is the closest possible match to your fixtures. Then keep it with you when you go shopping - it will save you running back and forth with things that don't quite work in there.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

My sister in law was stuck with the same dilemma-pink and green between the fixtures and the tiles. She painted the bathroom a beige color. She found wallpaper or a border she liked and cut out flowers and designs from the paper and pasted them randomly around the room. Using the neutral walls and pulling in other colors with the paper designs toned down the pink and introduced new colors without competing with nor bringing out the pink.
I redecorate a lot and repainting is one of my favorite, and cheapest ways to find new looks. Keep watch of mark downs and mistints in the paint depts. I buy really good quality paint for about $5 a gallon and mix them with others in a five gallon bucket to make my own colors. Same with the paper idea above. You can often get the last roll or discontinued items for just a few dollars.
Wishing you luck, it is a lot of work, but so much fun!!
Michele

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.