Postage

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Just a reminder, for American traders, that the new postage rates take effect January 1. They are:

First class letter rate: 34 cents first ounce, 21 cents each additional ounce. The surcharge for oversized envelopes remains 11 cents.

Dang it, and I had just bought a roll of 22 cent stamps. Now I need to go buy a bunch of 1 cent stamps to add to the envelopes. ;-)

Kittanning, PA

Hello,
Actually the postage doesn't go up until Jan 7th. I was at the post office yesterday and that is what I was told.

I was at the post office and mailed 4 letters to the US yesterday and each letter cost me 60 cents instead of 55 because the postage has gone up. Apparently it did go up the 1st of January at least in Canada it did..

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Whoops. I typed it in wrong. It is the 7th that it goes up in the U.S.

And Dave, you can still use the 22s. They dropped the second ounce rate, so a double will still cost you 55 cents. What you need to do is stock up with some 33s, though, so it balances out.

Idn't the gubermint jes' grand!

(Zone 7a)

You may be surprised to learn, as I was recently, that the U.S. Postal Service is actually a private company, not run by the U.S. Government. I think it happened about 7 years ago. Isn't that weird?

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, there's private, and there's private.

USPS is a semi-private company that retains all the special protections it had when it was a public agency.

That's why you and I can't deliver first class mail, for instance. And it's why the Federal governments special rate with FedEx was dropped---because it violated those protections.

So, they can call it what they want. But if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it still quacks.

(Zone 7a)

Amen!

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

http://www.usps.com/news/2001rate.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.