My backyard to the NE

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I am working with 5 acres of pretty bare land. Just wanted to give you a chance to see the layout and if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thumbnail by Joan
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Now that is what I call a blank canvas! I would probably start by establishing a few trees and shrubs for their structual forms. I wish I could suggest some specifics but I live in a more temperate climate and have no idea what would be hardy for you. I will look forward to seeing what you come up with though!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yeah, it is a blank canvas alright. I've drawn out dozens of landscape designs, but I can't make them come together and flow right, if you know what I mean. I have planted trees and shrubs, and if you look closely through the snow, you will see them little things. LOL! I wish I could have posted a better picture, but I'm using a borrowed camera. I wanted to post some pics in case anyone had any ideas. I wnat to have some sort of plan when spring comes. This is tough.

Raphine, VA(Zone 6b)

Joan,
Here are tw pictures of mine, we have no trees at all so I know what you are dealing with.
Start on paper with the basic idea of what you want when you are 80,lol.
First add your bed shapes, I'd do some curves around the house to soften.
Then do you trees, foundation planting and like me if you want an English Country Garden, the curves in shrubs to define each area.
Then if you want a water feature, where?
Patio?
Which paths you will want to walk and chalk it all out.
I do landscape Design so if I can help feel free to contact me.
http://pub18.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=6085&usernum=1506053308

http://pub18.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=6084&usernum=1506053308

This message was edited Tuesday, Feb 26th 6:56 AM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

What a difference RavenB!! That's a great b-4 and after example. When I first started going hog-wild with gardens I mapped out the entire property, and drew everything in with colored pencils... right down to the future plants (with proper spacing) that would be going in. I worked a whole winter on it. For me... it ended up being a big waste of time. Nothing went according to plans. There was always some obsticle in the way to change things. I guess my basic design is still evident but that's about it. I've done much better tackling one section at a time.

Joan are you going to enclose the yard in any way? A fence or hedge? With the snow it's sorta hard to tell what will be yard and where the field starts.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have been trying to draw things out, but so far haven't got anything that looks right. We won't be enclosing the yard, but the property line ends back by the row of trees. The trees kind of wind around the East and NorthEast boundries in a semicircle. I have been thinking of working up a long winding bed along the tree line and planting wildflowers in there, just to sort of bring the property in a little bit. If I planted it to perennial wildflowers and reseeding things, then the upkeep would be minimal. I wish I could have gotten a picture before the snow. That would have helped a lot. I also want to move my vegetable garden closer to the house, and have been working on a cottage style garden plan to put in the current veggie garden. The veggie garden is 70' x 140'. That picture is the other one of the NW corner of the backyard. That garden I would like to fence, and put up an arbor, and have small raised beds throughout. I need more bushes too, but having a hard time deciding what kind would be best and where to put them. I'm always afraid I'll plant something and then later hate where I put it. Plants I can move easily enough, but it's the trees and shrubs that I'm worried about putting in a bad spot. These are the only things I really have in mind right now, but that still leaves a ton of bare space. The two trees in the back are willows, so should grow pretty fast, and when they get bigger, I'm thinking of putting a hosta bed around and between them. I'm just going to work with the backyard this year and stay away from the house site until DH decides if he's ready to build or not. If we build this summer, I will have to move all my plants that are around the house to someplace in the backyard too, so I really do need to build at least one new bed somewhere.

Ravenbuck, thank you for showing us the pictures. There really is a difference. You've done a great job.

Thanks so much for the input. I am ready to go get a clean sheet of paper and start drawing again.

Joan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images