herb plants for historic site

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I posted this in the herb forum but Trish suggested that I post here too. I have been involved with an historic site for many years and we are now through with the exterior restoration and have opened the house to the public. I started turning my attention to the plants a couple years ago but did very little. We finally decided to plant one side of the house, in full sun, with various plants and herbs that existed prior to 1870. I have Bath's pinks in and they have done well; I just divided two clumps into 5. I have also planted some rose campion; there are daffodils that have been there forever, started some butterfly weed seed,and plan to put in some cosmos, cleome and morning glories to climb on the porch column. But I really need some old type herbs. I don't have much to trade. We ARE digging up some more modern strains of iris and I have sent out 2 boxes of those. That would be my only possibility except for maybe one trade of Bath's Pink. Can anyone help? I think I could plant them now, spring has sprung! I am in zone 6 in the N.C. mountains.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The Captain George Tate house is not far from me in Maine. It was built in 1755. The house has an 18th century herb garden behind it. I toured the house a couple of years ago but the garden was out of season at the time. I plan to go see the garden this summer. It will be interesting to see what they relied on back then and maybe I'll have some ideas for you.

I'm sure that I have some herbs that'll be appropriate for your garden as I've collected medicinals for quite a while. The problem with many of them is they aren't always the most desirable garden plants and they can be quite weedy. In the 18th century they didn't have all these wonderful well behaved hybrids that we're so lucky to have now. Many of the weedy things I keep around but I plant them out of the garden in the field behind it.

I'm not ready for trading - I still have a blanket of snow here in Maine. I probably won't be able to dig until the end of April or early part of May. Keep me in mind and give me a holler if I forget. I'm sure I can fix up a box of suitable herbs for

wow, that would be great. Send me the least weedy ones because I have limited space. Thanks a lot

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I found this list for a colonial garden in "The New England Herb Gardener" by Patricia Turcotte. I thought it might help you in your search. I marked the invasives with an asterick.

Agrimony, angelica, basil, betony, borage, bouncing bet (soapwort)*, chamomile, caraway, catmint, catnip*, celendine, chervil, chives, clary sage, comfrey*, coriander, costamary, dill, elecampagne, fennel, feverfew, figwort (schrophularia nodosa), flax, gipsywort (?)*, herb Robert*, hollyhocks, horehound, hyssop, lady's bedstraw*, lavender, leeks, lemon balm, lovage, lungwort, mallows, marigold (calendula), marjorum, mints*, mugwort**, parsley, pennyroyal, slad burnet, southernwood, strawberries, sweet cicely, thyme, valerian*, violets* and wormwood.

Some of them like basil, barage, chamomile, coriander, dill, fennel, hollyhocks, mallows, marigolds and calendula can easily be grown from seeds sown right in the garden.

Thank you so much poppysue; I really needed that information. I was out there digging irises up, that hadn't been divided in many years and shipped off some boxes, only to find out that bearded iris have been around since 1850s. Good thing I didn't get rid of all of them. I only have about 200 left, lol!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Would you like an Apothecary rose to go in your herb garden? They were used for several pharmeceutical and beauty concoctions. We still have snow - I keep saying I can get some out in April, just hope it isn't wishful thinking. Let me know what you think.
Kathleen

I also have seed several things on Poppysue's list. I could send them out right away.

Knoxville, TN

Wood I have alot of theHerb plants Poppy listed,just e;mail me across the Mountain here in Tennessee
The Herblady

Olympia, WA

i have lots of comfrey and i keep trying to hack it down. and lemon balm and a few different mints if you would like. i have some feverfew and basil, but they are still very small seedlings, which can be sent when they're ready. and a few others, leeks too, some of them are big, and no one here really likes leeks.

quynh

if you are still looking for herbs and plants that were on the list for victorian gardens let me know. I have a few of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images