Mirrors for bathrooms

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I have to select mirrors for the new bathrooms. Stores recommended please!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Louisa, our builder had plate mirrors installed in two of our bathrooms in our last home (we built it in '97). The hall bath was the only one I chose to hang a framed mirror. I'm guessing you've already talked to the builder, and come to the conclusion you'd prefer to hang framed mirrors?

I just found two really nice ovals (25x31) at Home Depot for $100 each for a new bathroom we just finished remodeling. They had a good selection, and the mirrors were nice quality for the price - good frames and beveling on the mirrors.

Another place to try is Hobby Lobby (if you have one near you - great selection, and they often run them on sale.) They have a web site with a store locator, just do a search on "Hobby Lobby".

If you can't find any you like, you can always work with a local glass shop to cut glass to fit frames you select elsewhere....it's not inexpensive, but if you're looking for a particular frame style, it can be the best/quickest way to achieve the look you're wanting.

I'm so excited for you with your new home - it's wonderful to anticipate the move (even though it's nerve-wracking and exhausting to get to that point!) Best wishes!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks govols - you always give me constructive advice!! I am looking for ovals mirrors because I have an English cottage style house and yes the builder would have put in the type you speak of but I wanted something that would not look modern. I have tried local stores but to no avail so I will probably go to Home Depot in Richmond and see their selection - sounds good to me. Are you pleased with your bathroom remodel? I bet that was exciting. The house is looking good, we move in end of May. Thanks so much for the well wishes. :-)

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Louisa,

I bought an oval mirror at HD for $60.00. It was fairly large, with a great frame. Also check out Michaels (craft store), if you have one near you, or Garden Ridge. They both have great mirrors, and if you catch them on sale, they are a good price. If they're not on sale, I would stick with HD.

Also, if you are handy, you can take one of the standard square glass mirrors like the contractors put up, and frame it out yourself with moulding. This is what I want to do with my mirror. It is huge, and I don't want to have to replace it. If it interests you to go this route, check and see which option would be more cost effective.

Trish

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Oooh, Trish - that's a good idea. I had intended to do that with the mirror in our master bath in the last home, and never worked up the courage. But they make such wonderful moldings now, and the decorative corner pieces (for those of us who are mitre-phobic!)

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Good advice here all round, thanks! Patty, it might be easy for you being a professional framer :-)

Falconer, NY(Zone 6a)

check in your area for a local home interiors decorating home party person. they have tons of mirrors and pics that u can chose from. book a party and get stuff for free to. there stuff is wonderful and is not to bad in price either

(Zone 6a)

I got my bathroom mirror from a local glass company.
I measured the length of the vanity and figured out how tall I wanted it and it looks real good. like you would see in a public bathroom. 3 feet tall and 5 feet long and it was 50$.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Tons of ideas here, guess I better get down to the practical now, thanks so much :-)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

An idea I saw on one of the HGTV shows. I have a huge but plain mirror in my master bathroom and haven't wanted to go through the hassle of removing it, framing it and putting it back up. It would have to be cut down to do that as there isn't enough space for it otherwise. I am now going to try the hint I saw. We are going to make a flat backed frame and use velcro strips to attach it to the mirror. The one they did on tv looked great. I hope it works as it will really save a lot of time and headaches if it does. If not we will go back to square one.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 14th 9:50 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Elena - thanks for the input. But wouldn't molding be easy to instal around the mirror also!! Just an idea :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.