Who wanted Asarina?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have found that cuttings will root and started some for someone here. I got the seeds from Brugie, they are red. I rooted them with the Shultz root hormone liquid stuff and used vermiculite.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

are you thinking of me??? I had 3 seeds come up. will that be enough for a basket?

TiG, it should be enough, but I will send these in your package. I started several, couldn't believe how easily they rooted. Are yours the red ones or the blue? The leaves on this red one are so different from the blue Martha Stewart ones I bought at K-Mart last year.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

mine are blue. you might have started them for someone else, I do know we talked about asarina on the trip. when did you start the seeds and how big are they? mine are growing at a snails pace.

TiG, I'm not sure how long, but I'm sure it was way before the Fla. trip. They were 4 or 5 inches tall till I pinched the tops out to take cuttings. This made them so bushy. I couldn't believe how many little branches came out!! I'll send you some too and that will leave enough for someone else just in case. I'm keeping these really warm and a little on the dry side. They didn't like it when the soil stayed damp, and I was afraid they would die, but finally got it dried out and they are doing great. I put a bit of Osmocote in the pot too. Are the leaves on yours a little bit downy?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

What is look like? Maybe I want one.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

mine aren't but about 1" tall Susie :( wondering if I'll see anything from them. I'm going to take them out of the vermiculite and put in soil with osmocoate. hope I dont' kill em!

RR, it's like a little snapdragon bloom on a vine. This is what mine looks like. It's erubescens instead of scandens.(that's what the blue ones were, and why the leaves are so different)http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=worldplants.com/pics/asarina.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.worldplants.com/a3.htm&h=246&w=200&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dasarina%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh yes that so beautiful, I love it and thank you for show me hyperlink. Down here don't have like this.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

OH it is beautiful.. I would like to get me a rooting or cutting.. Let me know.. Email me... Thanks..
RedRose.. yes me too we haven't see this one around here either..

RR, I'll start you a cutting when the original plants grow a bit. You may have to remind me in a few weeks. My memory is so terrible and I may forget who they are for.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

OOOO thank you so much Cala. {{{HUGS}}} Ok will remind you few weeks, I did write down in my book. Thanks again.

Well, I figured out who I started these for and I just sent her a package without these in it!! OK, will trade vines for a brain, lol. Midwestsnowbird, will get these to you soon.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Pretty!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cala, you will notice that with age, this plant forms a tuber. I think I read someplace that it can be held over the winter, but don't remember where that information came from. Could be I had a dream one night. :-) I have to say that I was not impressed with this plant. I did grow well and had a flush of blooms, but wasn't anything like the picture after that point. I finally tossed it because once it quit blooming for me, it wasn't pretty. Hope you guys all have better luck with it.

Brugie
I was hoping it would do like the scandens and bloom off and on all summer. I will give it a try, but at least the leaves are pretty. Wonder if it's dead-headed it will bloom longer?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I did that too. The blooms seem to start at the top of the vine and bloom down to the end. Once finished, it didn't put on more buds. Maybe keeping it pinched back to encourage more shoots would help.

Brugie, I feel another "experiment" coming on!! I do love the vines too. Do you know if it prefers sun or shade? I forgot to ask. I could try it in several different degrees of light and see which encourages more blooms.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Mine was in half day but I think it prefers more sun than that. Just didn't have a place to hang the basket. They do drink a lot when it is hot.

Hamilton, Canada

I have Asarina Joan Lorraine which is the purple flower type. The sprouts are the smallest things I've ever seen...my goodness. I've forgotten the name of the red flowered type...does anyone know of its name?

Joydie

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Asarina x hybrida Red Dragon is the red one that Cala is growing. The seeds came from Thompson and Morgan, if I remember right.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I have Red Dragon - I liked it enough last year to squeeze a little space in the GH for it. It stayed outside in the ground until frost- I cut it back and it's making a run for the outside. It's listed as a tender perennial. Nice big blooms. Mine wasn't in a basket - was in the soil hanging over a granite wall. The deep red showed up well against the grey stone - it also like the heat off the rock.

Hamilton, Canada

That's the one that I saw---Red Dragon...it is a pretty one!! I hope my itsy bitsy seedlings grow into vines...I have the ugliest fence you could imagine. Besides it will keep the nosey people from looking into my garden...especially the neighbourhood plant thief.

Joydie

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Joyce,

I think you will have plenty of vine from your tiny seedlings. Once they start growing, they grow pretty fast. I'm not sure you will get them to cover a fence though unless you have it at the top so it can hang down. It didn't cling to the basket hanger for me. Just wanted to hang. For your sake, I hope I had a strange plant that didn't conform to the norm. Maybe yours will grow right for you.

Shirley

Hamilton, Canada

shirley,

Thanks for the info...I'll put them in hanging baskets...when i saw the post of them they were grown up a string trellis and covered a good amount of fencing. This year is the year of the vines...every kind I get plant.

Joydie

Hamilton, Canada

Cala,

Just wanted to let you know your lapergeria vine cuttings are rooting. I managed to get some cuttings as the vine finally started to shoot up.

Joydie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.