Above your cabinets

Finley, TN(Zone 7a)

I have recently remodeled my kitchen and now I have space above my cabinets to display things. I would love your ideas for this project. My in-laws will be here Easter and I would love to have something up there.

My thoughts were: starting a depression glass collection (light green) and displaying that up there. I would like to put live plants up there maybe some ivy or something but is that too much trouble to take care of up there.

My kitchen is mostly white (before it was brown with gold appliances, countertops, and cabinets with a brown flooring. Ugh!) with a muted green stripe wallpaper and a muted green sponged look wallpaper.

I am open to any idea and if you have pics that you could tell me where to go look I would LOVE that! Thanks again!

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Kristen,

I don't currently have space above my cabinets...but I sure do miss it! I've put all kinds of things up there...vines on the ends (so you can still open the doors), paintings, pitchers, tons of baskets, candles, jars of dried beans and rice, platters, vases. I staggered the height of them by placing some of the shorter items on empty boxes, and covered the boxes with tablecloths, if needed. Old paint cans work good for this, too. If you are going for a more formal look, stick with silver or glass things, and made it simple. If country look is what you are after, load it up with knick-knacks, and make it cozy.

I can't wait to hear what you do!!!

Trish

(Zone 6a)

I have silk plants, ferns and spider plants. My collection of birdhouses, and glass ware.My favorite thing I did was I wanted this tin I say at hobby lobby but did not want to pay the price and I took an old christmass popcorn tin and painted it with green spray paint and then painted stripes with a kaki color craft paint, covered the edge of the lid with bailing string and painted over it to give it some texture. This looks good with the ferns and green wine bottle.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have a Depression Glass collection above my cabinets!

I have 2 full sets .One pink and one green.They are both the same pattern called Adam made by Jeanette Glass Company from 1932 to 1934. This pattern has never been reproduced,so all of mine is old. I started with my Grandmother's pink creamer when I was 9 years old.Back when you could buy a plate for 3.00 Now I have it insured on it's very own policy! LOL

My kitchen is a galley type 16 feet long with an apple green and pale pink walpaper boarder over white walls.Below the cabinets is a washible walpaper with a 'waterfall' type print in pink and green. I have silk ivy geraniums (with pink edges)in a couple of cookie jars(pink glass)

My dining room is more formal,but I have the rest of my collection in the breakfront.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Kristen I love to put English bone china plates on display up there and lots and lots of dried hydrangeas in different hues.

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Kristen...I placed anniversary tins that I have collected over the past twenty years on top of my cabinets plus some old milk bottles. I used to have baskets on top of my cabinets, but I tied them to twine so they now cascade down and fill up an empty corner.

(Zone 7a)

I love the space above my cabinates!! I have birdhouses and teapots up there. Only bad thing is that one day I look up there and am horrified that they need to be cleaned!!! Can get pretty nasty up there (even with a vent) if you forget about it.
Also keep in mind that if you have any cats and there is any possible way it can get up there it will!! Cant tell you how many objects my cat broke ( averaging 2 per week) until I arranged them and now nothing is in her way!!!
Hey----if you cant beat 'em.. rearrange
Janice

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have norman rockewell and thomas kinkade collections of plates and then a few gift plates i have recieved.
my neighbor did hers with all old utensils and sifters and stuff like that.
I love my collection of thomas kinkade english cottages n garden plates!!!

I love the space above my cabinets! I put anything and everything. If there is a bare spot I put seasonal dried flowers. My favorite items are those treasures the kids have brought home from school that I don't know what to do with. They look great up there and the kids are so proud! Dust? I've never noticed the dust from down below.

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 8:53 PM

Cordova, MD

In my older house I put tins that I collected thr ough the years and through yard sales! Looked great in an older house. My new house is more modern looking- put up great looking "apple" wall paper borders- so now I have big mixing bowls and cookie jars that I have collected on my cabinet shelves on top.
A friend of mine also added the twinkle lights like Sis mentioned above and they look fantastic! Gives the kitchen a great "ambiance"! Especially when you turn off the main lights after your dinner and cleaning up are done! It also gives her and the kids a "night light" in the evening when fumbling around the kitchen!
Let us all know what you did!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.