Monarch??

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This one is munching down on some yellow Buddliea.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Looks like a stained glass window...Beautiful

Knoxville, TN

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Aren't Monarchs just beautiful!!!

"eyes"

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

That one looks like a viceroy to me. Very much like monarchs, and often taken as one, but smaller. But I would have to check a photo, to see the minute differences in patterns, to be positive.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That is funny Vic! I always say they look like stained grass too!
Aimee, I really would like to know what type it is. We get tons of these and they are so pretty.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Is that the yellow butterfly bush that he's on? do they re-seed as freely as the other butterfly bushes? I have tons of seedlings of the pink and lavender ones.
What a beauty....and I agree, he does look like stained glass .

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I think this is a Monarch. See the three distinct orange patches on the forewing? That's a pretty easy way to decide which you are looking at. The viceroy has more patches. Look at the viceroy on this link: http://www.greathousebutterflies.com/viceroy.jpg

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

My yellow does not reseed or at least I have never found a stray. I have never even found seeds on them, but I have heard they are very different looking than the others. Usually if someone wants one, I root cuttings.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

do you have a good success rate? Youd be amazed at the seedlings I get, egads!!! millions of them. This year, I am going to cut the flowers off as soon as the they fade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.