Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I'm so glad to see this forum!!!! I spent the latter part of last year and most of this spring dedicating most of my yard to these 2. Pentas, buddelia, asclepsia, you name it, i probably have it....butterflies i have an abundance of, and will take pics as i see them, but WHY are the hummers so hard to come by???
I saw 2 in march, they hung around for about a week and havent seen them since. I change the feeders frequently, but still no hummers : (
any ideas??

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe they are on their way to cooler climates and you are a way station? I have them here several months of the year, and they come right up to my face as if they know me, so I have planted things to provide for them for years. But they were here when I came, and I think they regard me as a guest. I have a wide variety of butterflies, but it seems only one type of hummer, the little green bellied one. I can't actually see many of the details the books show, so I could be missing some types. I think as long as you have planted a lot of things they like, they will come at the time that fits their needs. I also think I often miss them by staying inside during the early hours when the mosquitoes are bad and then at dusk when they are swarming just before night. Must find some repellent I can tolerate.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

It's the nesting season..........you'll start to see more of them very shortly, and will have them until fall.

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.