any ideas?

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

i found what are think are eggs on top of a buddelia leaf. they look hard and are brownish-red. they are kinda in a V form, (imagine geese flying. there are 18 of them.
are they butterfly eggs? if so, any idea what kind?
TIA,
jen

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

MsJen, I have no idea. how big are they? they size of a pea?

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

oh no, they are tiny. i dont even know what to compare them to. maybe a kiwi seed, maybe smaller.
i tried to take a pic with the digital, but the el cheaper i have doesnt do very well with small objects.
jen

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

maybe insect poop???if it is that small, I dont think they could be eggs, not that I am an expert though, But it seems they are too small.
Pity you cant post a picture...
and I will just die if in 3-4 weeks you tell us they hatched - lol

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

would have to be a talented insect to be able to poop in such a pattern, rofl.
ill try again today to see if i can get at least something on camera.

jen

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

well, there is that of course Jen, I hadnt thought of the pattern, was just concentrating on the size....what could it be? I really think they are too small if they are the size of a kiwi seed, which is about the size of a sesame seed right? (just to make sure I'm thinking of the same thing)

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Insect POOP????!!!!!!! Get a magnifying glass, I suppose! ROFLMBO!!!!!

"eyes"

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

lol - maybe not insect, but it cant be too big of a critter, the squirrels poop is about the size of a lemon or tangerine seed, just to keep things in perspective....
bird poop isnt uniform in size....just a big ole splat, so we have to rule out birds, I have seen some black poopy looking stuff on petunias and such that were infested with those white wormy things, I bet it's something like that....a catterpillar maybe?

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

It's the V shaped formation that is intriguing me.....

"eyes"

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

yeah, I know it has been tugging at me too - have no idea what it might be....

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

the camera wasnt able to pick anything up. the eggs are definately attached to the leaf but dont appear to be growing.
i'm kinda leaning towards the red admiral, but thats just because its the only one that i could find that lays eggs on top of the leaf.
the plot thickens..
jen
p.s. a sesame seed would be a good comparison.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

ohhh butterfly eggs? hmmmmm

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

they are still there, but look like they are turning to an amber color now..somewhat translucent?
this is so baffeling..my luck they are eggs of the mexican beetle bug or something, lol..or probably something entirely worse.
ill keep yall informed
jen

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

lol MsJen, I've been wondering if they had hatched yet....

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Yikes!!! I hope not!!

"eyes"

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

well, im not sure what happened, but now there are empty egg casings. i checked all over the plant and didnt see any cats or beetles...
super strange
jen

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Did you look in the soil underneath? Some things drop into the soil and go through a stage there.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

no, i didnt think about that. ill try to look today tho..my neighbors are going to think im nuts. for a week ive been closely studying 1 leaf, now they are going to see me "butt in the air crawling on the ground" lol
such fun
jen

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Make it worth their while, wear pink polka dot short shorts under a long tee shirt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.