2 hummers in my gardens

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I was so excited this morning while I was perusing my brugs and checking for Y's, I heard a bit of chatter, and looked up to see a hummer seemingly trying to get my attention, this is the first hummer of the year I think for me, (I'm not sure if I saw one earlier - may have, but that experience was nothing compared to today) anyway, I watched him flitter to the red monarda, then the red hot poker, I was thrilled, went in to get DH and have him come watch with me, we walked out to the huge butterfly bush, and there he/she was, flitting from branch to branch, then he sat down and rested for a while, then took off to the red hot pokers. Well....so I went inside and watched them from the windows, running from one to the toher. by this time, there were two of them, going from one butterfly bush to the other, then the red hots (luckily I have about 11-12 big plants with about 8-10 flower stalks each) and the sure love the mondarda, I only have one monarda plant, I will be looking into getting some more.

I had the best time, It just gave me great joy to see these little guys. I am also toying with the idea of getting a couple of more hummingbird feeders.....

I want to encourage them to stay in my yard, and maybe have some babies....Or is it too late in the season for the babies?

One was a browniosh, the other had more green to it. is the greenish one the male? or female?

Fort Collins, CO(Zone 5a)

<< One was a browniosh, the other had more green to it. is the greenish one the male? or female? >>

Sounds like a pair of rufous hummers, which breed in the Northwest. The male has a rust-colored back and a flaming orange-red throat. The female is greenish on the back with dull rustish on the sides and base of tail. Their wing noise isn't the clear trill of most hummers. It's more muted and buzzy. They migrate through Colorado starting in early July, so they probably have already nested there. It's a slow "migration" here. They usually hang around for six weeks or so.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Pebble, I have plenty of purple Monarda citriodora, called lemon mint, if you want flowerheads for seed. It's the kind that has 3-12 tufts of "blooms" up a stem from 12" to 18" tall, and is aromatic. Geyata Ajilvsgi, an expert on wildflowers, calls it annual or biennial. Some years it is paler, apparently influenced by weather conditions, but many times it is a deep, rich purple. This year, some of it is even pink or green, but the hummingbirds and butterflies don't seem to mind. It is rather weedy looking to some people, with roughish leaves, but I was delighted when it decided to come up in my front border this year. Let me know if I should collect flowerheads for you.

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 29th 8:59 PM

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Aimee, sure, if you will be collecting some, I would love to have some.....
Is this exciting or what? and now I can put a name to them, and look them up...

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I sent you Passiflora Incense plants, but am not sure if it survived, so if you would like more, I can send it with some seeds. I am only collecting wildflower seeds someone asks for, but am happy to share where there is interest. I still have a lot from previous years, and it pains me to see them go to waste. Anything else you have room for from my stash, just say the word. I don't have a current list, sorry to say, as I never got around to updating it this year. Ask, I will see if I have it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.