Devil's Claw, Unicorn Plant (Proboscidea louisianica)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Common name: Devil's Claw, Unicorn Plant
Family: Pedaliaceae
Genus: Proboscidea
Species louisianica

Thumbnail by Wingnut
Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Those look great :D They really like your sunny weather? =) They look a little like pumpkins :}

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, they do, Evert! This was taken back in May, the 24th I think. That plant hasnt' grown a whole heckuva lot 'cause I've kind of neglected the garden this past month, forgotten to water a lot. How are yours doing?

Only one is alive... all other died for some reason. Well, I hope the one blooms someday :}

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, no! I wonder if it was too wet? Damp-off maybe? They kind of like to be treated like orphans ~ left alone to their own devices. Like herbs ~ if you pamper them, they'll go belly up. How many seeds do you have left? I can send more when I send the Magnolia grandiflora seeds (which aren't quite ripe yet ~ maybe another few weeks?). Just let me know. I've got a few pods ripening on the plant right now and each one of them should contain 35-50 seeds.

I still have seeds left. OF course you have send more if you have too many of them, maybe I can share them here. I have time to wait, no hurry ;)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Okey, dokey. I've been keeping a close eye on the magnolia tree because those seeds have to be sown when they're fresh. It shouldn't be longer than a month.

OK, yeah, they must be fresh :) Let me know when they are ready, I can send postage

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Nah, don't worry about it. This is the finish of that trade I screwed up last year, remember? *Grin!* Do you still want cuttings, too? I've been looking at the tree and there doesn't seem to be much softwood on it and I think that's what they're supposed to be. I've talked to a couple of other people and they said they haven't had much luck rooting cuttings, but you seem to be pretty good at it so maybe they'll work for you? It's no harder to send some cuttings along with the seeds if you want ~ let me know.

Wingnut, hehe.... no, cuttings are so hard to propagate and they wouldn't make the trip I think. Just seeds is ok :)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Okey, dokey! ;) I'll let you know when I send them ~ seed pods are still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay green.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

The seeds germinate very quickly if you take a small manicure scissors or something similar with a narrow blade and score the very edge of the leathery seed covering. I actually peel the whole cover off to reveal a white seed inside about the size of an apple seed. Do this when you are ready to sow as I do not think they would keep well once peeled.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.