Brugie, my alley and I

Herbstein, Germany(Zone 5a)

Not a good picture. Its out of my book. I couldnt find the color slide. It was made in 1999.

Thumbnail by monika
Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Monika . . I am not Brugie, but it is always nice to be able to put face to a person. I still cannot get over how tall your brug trees are.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

OH MY!! Look at those brugs tower over you! You are such a petite little thing to be growing those huge plants ;) Lovely picture.

I have to replace them sometimes with young trees, when the old ones become too heavy to carry. It depends on the strength of growth. My oldest tree at the moment is a 12 year old Marie Gerrits and still easy to carry. It has much versicolor and therefore a slender trunk.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 31st 5:38 PM

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 31st 5:39 PM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Gosh - 12 YEARS! I'm lucky to get one through a winter.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

That is mind boggeling!! Beautiful specimens!!

"eyes"

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

it is mind boggling beautiful. i can't imagine 12 year old plants either. totally awesome.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it's so wonderful to 'meet' you! I love knowing what people look like so I can picture them in my mind when they post.

The newest addition to the alley is a 5 year old B. x flava Mobisu - Tree. It has two trunks. I will seperate them during winter by air layering. When it is in full bloom, I am going to make a picture.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

and these are the ones you take inside? and their pot size again??

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Monika, thanks so much for posting your picture. You look like I thought you would, but I had you pictured a little taller. How great it must be to be able to walk under that alley of beautiful bloom. Absolutely awesome. We all love to see your brug pictures. They are so different from what we have here and keep us wanting more. Tonight when I'm outside smelling the blooms and squishing the bugs, I'll think of your alley and wish some more. Thanks again for the picture. It is so nice to meet you, even if it isn't in person.

tiG: these are the ones, I take inside again. They sit in 5 gallon pots, holes on the bottom and the sides and placed into the ground. In the fall, I dig them out.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Monika, your alley is lovely, and it is such a pleasure to meet you.
I too can't imagine a 12 yr old brug

Its easy, pebble.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks Monika - you look like a proud mama with your great big babies! Actually, they look like they're standing at attention waiting for your inspection. Beautiful, both of you!

Vancouver Island, BC(Zone 8b)

You look wonderful standing there Monika. Glorious picture of you and the brugs.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Well, I'm certainly inspired to bring my brugs inside for the winter now - since I know how "easy" it is...lol

I'll try, I dont know about the 12 yr part though.....

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Monika, It's so nice to finally meet you. How you dig those huge plants up and bring them in and out I will never know.What a great picture of you and your Brugs.

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

Absolutely beautiful.Glad to meet you. Thanks for sharing your photos and your knowledge.

Hamilton, Canada

Monika,

This is absolutely breath taking!! It's wonderful to see you
amongst your Paradise on Earth. I know back in 1994 I think it was I attended the Floriad in Amsterdam and came back with an entire new perspective on gardening. I loved the little pocket gardens in the cities and how they were so creative with their spaces. Over the next few years I slowly changed all of my flower beds placing tropicals in with annuals and perennials. Now I'm passionate about brugs and can hardly wait for my first hybrid seedlings to sprout.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

monika, I can only hope I can get mine out of the ground without tearing them up! you've given all of us dreams about what can be done by showing us results.

Hattiesburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Monika,
So nice to hear you talk about brugs which are in your book. I have a copy of the book but since my German consists of siting with a German dictionary looking up every word-I look at the pictures most of the time, which are great. Hope you are feeling well.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

You look just like my grandmother when she was younger. She was Ann Doring Bauer.......... know her?? I guess not. But you could be twins except for the age difference. LOL I hope your weather gets better and allows you another fantastic garden next year!

Thanks to all of you. Snow and Brugie, I could make pictures this fall and show you, what they look like, when ready to move into the GH for overwintering.
Barbara, there might be chance for a english print. We ( avery good friend and I) are working on it and might ask all of you for your assistance to convince the US publisher.
I hope to stay healthy to continue with my beloved plants.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

You found a US publisher??? Wonderful!! Just say when you'd like us to all email them -

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you made the newsletter!! will jump to get your book in english!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Incredible!Beautiful..nice to "meet" you! I have one brug..my first..and am waiting and watching to see how it will do.

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

That is absolutely stunning ! Thanks for sharing with us all of your hard work~ we are ALL reaping the benefit ...VERY inspiring!

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

Lovely Brugs and a Lovely Lady - thanks for the photo!

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Monika, Pictures would be great. Thank you. DH and I are trying to find a solution so I can keep lots of them tree size this winter but it doesn't look promising. I sit outside and look at them so big and full of flowers and want to cry when I think in a few weeks they will have to be chopped up.Sure wish I had a basement or a better greenhouse that wasn't so hard to heat.

(Zone 5a)

I love your alley it is so lovely, can I borrow your green thumbs lol.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm so glad to hear about the possibility of your book being published in English. I'll sure do whatever I can to help. Would love to see the process for getting ready to winter over. Thanks Monika.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

also, would like to know how you treat your soil before bringing in. So thankful you are here and still willing to share all your experience even after we've asked a hundred questions!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

That is so awesome,I know I can't get all mine to look that good....but just one?????/

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Oh how beautiful, would love to see that in person. Hope you do get your book in english.

Brugvalley, Germany(Zone 7b)

Monika,
would be Great to have your book in English.
I very look forward...
GL

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Very beautiful and a little depressing as I look out my window at brugs wilting in 100 degree heat.Florida has it's moments but none of them happen in July and August.I do hope you land that publisher.I was about ready to try Barbara's method of German edition and handbook.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Monika so nice meeting you and as I see your brug alley, I'll try to keep in my mind the inspiration that I felt looking at your beautiful plants, they look adorable!!!!!!
Best wishes fromm your one fan club, in southern Chile.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

JT, everything in my yard is wilting. Elephant ears in the shade that have been there forever are wilting to the ground. this is unbearable heat. and the plants are taking it worse than me.

Vancouver Island, BC(Zone 8b)

I have the book in German but I'd buy another copy in English. The pictures are to die for. Tonny was translating it for me but something happened to him. I think he got too busy planting brugs. I'll have to wait for winter again.( Don't kill me Tonny) I have the handy German- English dictionary but it's really hard to translate if you don't understand the grammar, which I don't. Anyway, I sure hope you get a US publisher Monika. You'd make a lot of us very happy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.