Twin Cities, MN Plant Swap

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

The date for the Twin Cities Plant Swap has been set.

When:  Saturday, May 19th, from 10 am til all the plants/bulbs/seeds are gone.  You'll get as many turns as you brought items (on your honor), or until you've exceeded the hauling capacity of your vehicle (so you might want to bring the Suburban instead of the VW bug!)

Where:  Como Park, West Picnic Area (St. Paul, MN)

For the locals:  Take Highway 36 to the Hamline Avenue Exit.  Go South on Hamline Avenue to Midway Parkway (entrance to Como Park/Como Zoo).  Turn left (east) on Midway Parkway.  Follow Midway Parkway to the stoplight.  The entrance to the West Picnic area is immediately after the stoplight.

If you're not very familiar with the Twin Cities, or like, me suffer from "no sense of direction-itis"), here's a way to get detailed instructions from your home:  Go to www.mapquest.com and enter the following address information:  Hamline and Midway Parkway (that's the intersection), St. Paul, MN 55108.

Things to Bring:  Potted and labeled (name, sun/shade, water, any care instructions) annual and perennial plants, seeds, bulbs and any miscellaneous gardening paraphenalia such as magazines, flower pots, birdhouses, etc. 

You may also want to bring a box (or any kind of container) labelled with your name to hold your trades.  This will ensure that no one mistakes your prized acquisitions for items still up for grabs.

A Sneak Preview: 
--Things that will be brought to swap (this is a very preliminary list-I'm sure we'll all find much more as our 'dozing' gardens wake up!):

Red canna bulbs
Pumpkin and squash seeds
Lilies
Heuchera
Astilbes
Siberian iris 
Hostas
Lily of the valley
Physostegia (obedient plant)
Tri-color sage
Artemesia 'Powis Castle'
Canna rhizomes
Morning glory seeds
White thick-spiked gayfeather
Blue globe thistle
Showy goldenrod
Echinacea 'Alba'
Several varieties of hardy hibiscus
Pink Phlox
Clara Curtis Daisies
Shasta Daisies
Purple Coneflower
Marguerite Daisies
Daylilies
Stepping Stones

The "Wish List" 

These are specific items that traders are looking for.  I'm providing this list in the event that any of us have these items to share, but may have not initially have thought to bring them. 

Shade plants
Lilies, hardy geraniums, hellebore seedlings, foxgloves, interesting annuals, dahlia tubers
Unusual perennials
Shrubs and perennials
Daylilies
Nelly Moser clematis, iris or siberian iris, hellobores-green, the new deep red and any other colors other than white
Unusual and dwarf coneflowers 

Let me know if you have any questions beforehand-otherwise, see you on May 19th!

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

The May 19th Plant Swap in Como Park has been cancelled due to lack of participation.  My apologies to those of you who planned to attend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.