Time to vote for your favorites in the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can vote!

Morning Glory Tree

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Tropical Bush or tree reaches heights of 10'-12'. Lavendar blooms in mid summer.

Common name: Morning Glory Tree

Thumbnail by Azalea
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Mine finally bloomed too!

Port Saint Joe, FL

Do they come in any other colors? email me at [email protected]

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

PJ, this is what I had this summer. I thought it was a tree and not the bush type. Just beautiful when it bloomed, but for me it didn't start until right before frost. I was able to save four seeds from the first bloom, so I'm going to start it much earlier next spring. Like maybe Jan 15th. I'll also put it at the back of the bed and not in the front. :-) I didn't know what I had for sure and thought if it was a bush, it would be pretty where I had it...........NOT. How's my Jam. Yellow coming along? I've saved a place for it in my basment jungle. I'll bet you are still enjoying blooms down there. I wish our fall hadn't come along so quickly and we are running about 20 degrees below normal for the last half of October. It is heavy jacket weather here now. No fun!!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I chopped down my MG tree yesterday and thought maybe I could root it like a brug??? I didn't see the first seed!

Shirley, your JAM is still blooming it's head off but the past 2 days have been rough on it - lots of wind and rain. I will probably cut your limb next week. I have potted it and don't plan to cut the whole thing down if I can save it. It is full of baby PODS!! We are in the process of trying to put up a temp Brug house. Just got started today, hope we make it in time! I plan to post pics of the progress on the gh forum.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

PJ, I'm in no hurry. The morning glory tree can be whacked up and the cuttings rooted. I was surprised how it did root even tho it took a while. I need to get it potted, but I don't want it to start growing like crazy. Guess I was lucky to find seed on mine. My little variegated pink picotee glory that sends runners and doesn't climb has finally put out some seed. I had to dig it and take it into the garage, but some did mature. It was cute, but I've got to figure out a better place for it next year. Since it crawled, and went through the flower bed, I didn't see a lot of bloom, but there were a million seed pods, so I know they were there sometime.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Brugie, where are the seed and what do they look like. I called myself looking but I haven`t found any yet. I have rooted cuttings from the limbs in a clear container of water just like a brug. They root fairly easily.My plant has been blooming for months and is around 10-12ft. tall with lots of limbs.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Busybee, the seeds are right where the flower tube was attached and they are round, but when mature, they open and there will be several seeds, like four or more in that little ball (pod). The seeds are hairy and funny looking. The outside of that seed pod needs to turn brown before you pick it and if danger of frost, go ahead and pick it but do not open it until it has had lots of time to finish drying. It takes a long time from bloom to seed. More than a regular MG.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Brugie. I guess mine isn`t going to make any seed. The blunt end of the stem where the flower came off is smooth and nothing is growing there.

Port Saint Joe, FL

I got brave and tried to root mine. I think maybe it is going to work. I didn't see any seeds at all last year and I did and do have ant problem. So someone told me to put vaseline around the base of my mg tree, and other things that have ants real bad. I did this and I have gotten one seed so far from it and hope to get more before it dies off. Trying to decide whether to cut the thing down and try to root it too or wait and try for seeds.
ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET BLUE OR WHITE ONES?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I did a little research for the database to get the correct ID on this. I'm pretty sure this Ipomoea carnea or sometimes listed Ipomoea fistulosa. Ipomoea arborescens is truely a tree growing up to 40 feet tall in Mexico.

Another one also known as a bush glory is Ipomoea leptophyla - aslo Known as the Man Root with a large taproot that is supposed to be as big as a man. I had started this one from seeds this past winter but was afraid to put it in the ground! I found this picture that shows the size of the root - and I bet this is a small one!
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/aep/co/aep-cos4.jpg

Delevan, NY(Zone 5a)

what zone is this plant???

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I got the rooted cutting from Deeinfl (I think), She lives in No Fl, not sure of her zone. I am in zone 7b where I'm told it will not be hardy. I chopped it down and am attempting to have cuttings for next summer, so far, they have not put out any leaves?? I am hoping that it will come back from the roots, but won't know for a few months. Maybe I should have dug up the root ball to be more sure of having it next year - I love it.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

PJ, I put two cuttings in a glass of water this fall and both rooted, however, one did bite the dust later. They do root fairly well in the water. How did you root yours?

Wheezie, this plant will grow easily from seed too. I started mine from seed last spring, but will soon put the two seeds I have in soil to get a bit of a jump start for this year. I'd like them to bloom sooner so I can get more seeds next year. It does take quite a while for the seed to mature on this variety.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I tried to root them like brugs - waiting for the white "Nubbies" which never came - after a couple of weeks in water, I stuck them in a mixture of sand, perlite and peat (just like brugs). Nothing has happened - so I think I have lost them all. I had NO seeds on mine. I'm just hoping that the one in the yard will come back up like my brugs do.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

poppysue, i spent hours researching the name of this, and i decided it was the ipomea fisulosa carnea. dead ringer in the pics and descriptions anyway, not too many plants have hairy seeds. i thnk the aborescens label is wrong, i've seen it labeled that before. i first received the seeds from texas, labeled morning glory bush. Azalea, the one by my house has had a bloom or two on it at a time until this week. mine comes back from freeze. they root really easy in the summer, one of those stick in a bucket of soil and it roots kind of plants, at least here. after this weekend i think it's a goner for the year.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Right, Arlene. That's what I came up with too. I just got seeds from a white flowered one... but the seeds are obviously different. Not fuzzy at all. They're small, round and gray colored. I wonder what they'll turn out to be?

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

i've only seen the lavender purple but i sure like it.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7a)

IF anyone finds the Pink flowered Ipomea arborescens seeds or cuttings let me know.. ihave lots to trade.. jojoba
email.. [email protected]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images