agapanthus

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I love and NEED agapanthus. Would anyone have any to spare and trade for other bulbs like: daylilies (lots of colors to choose from), cannas ( yellow w/red), gingers, bananas.....maybe amaryllis,(if I can let go)...and if anyone is interested, let me know.

Dene

Whittier, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Dene, I have lots of seeds if you would like some for sase. They are easy to grow from seed, and can bloom the second year if they are given lots of love (and a long growing season!) :) Email if you are interested.--Surf :)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Surf,
Would you know if agapanthus is a rhizome or a bulb? One place says bulb & the othere rhizome. I'm too impatient for seeds. I like blooms the first year.

Dene

De Rijp, Netherlands

I have lots of agapanthus plants and have never started them from seed. It seems to me that it would take quite a few years to grow agapanthus from seeds. I divided my plants last year. They did not bloom last year. I hope they will bloom this year. I grow my plants in pots, maybe in the garden they would do better. When I divided the plants it did not look like a bulb.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Dene, hello from down the road! I have some daylilly's and lilly of the nile(agapanthus). Email me. I think aga's would be a rhizome. I also have rain lillys. Let me know! Bye, Lisa

Whittier, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Dene, :) I'd concur with the others that Aga's are rhizomatous. The roots tend to become a gnarled mass of fleshy white tangle. I have read in several books that they will bloom from seed in 2-3 years, and found the same to be true. Mine grow surprisingly quick, but I'm blessed to have a 9 or 10 month growing season here in So. California (a couple weeks ago, it was still in the low 80's during the days!) But if you want instant bloom, established plants are definitely your best bet... :) Good luck! --Surf :)
p.s. -- and if you want any seeds to fill in around the mature plants you get, let me know! I saved more than I'll ever use! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images