Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Immature seed pod, mature seed pods and mature seeds in them. Seeds must be sown fresh and stratified.

Common name: Southern Magnolia
Family: Magnoliaceae
Genus: Magnolia
Species grandiflora

Thumbnail by Wingnut
(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, I grew up with a Magnolia tree, and even though I'm just into gardening these past two years (and not likely to have really noticed much before), I don't really recall seeing any red on our tree. Do the seed pods have the red seeds ON them?

And when do you see these on the trees? I'd like to ask my mother to collect seeds for me.

Thanks!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

They're not ON them, but IN them and then fall out, Cajun. Look at the green pod in my photo. See the creases? When it dries out, it cracks open along those creases. See the little curly black things on the green pod? Beneath each of those is one of the seeds.

Tell your mom to go look right now. I just noticed yesterday that mine are ready. Happy Happy Joy Joy! Don't you LOVE them?! :)

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

My mom went out yesterday and looked for the seed pods. She found them all right, but... not before the squirrels did! We have many oak trees back home too, so I'm sure we keep several nests going. She has a pecan tree too, so they're delighted to have all the food she provides them!!!

So now we know why, in over 50 years there, we never EVER saw a single seed OR a seedling!!! LOL

Thanks for your help. Mom says she's going to keep looking!!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

ACK! TREE RATS!! If you REALLY want seeds from her tree (I understand sentimentality :), you might ask her to try wrapping a few pods loosely in metal window screening and wiring it on around the base of the pod (the stem) 'til the seeds ripen. Might work?

I guess I'm lucky ~ don't have that problem with squirrels despite having LOTS of them (and I really do like them despite my wisecrack above ;). Must be that the over 400 pecan trees we have out here keep the little buggers too full to mess with my magnolia seeds! *Giggle ~ snort!* Thank GOODNESS! So the solution is ... have your mom plant more pecan trees! *Grin*

ok ,so does this mean that if there not red once opened there not a good seed ?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL wingnut, another ren and stimpy fan I see. LOL I know that song by heart myself. My squirrel problem isnt too bad since my attack Chihuahua thinks they are better to chase than cats could ever be. He is more likely to protect a cat than chase it but squirrels are definatly a no-no in HIS yard.

Thumbnail by Dravencat

Concerning the seeds of the tree, could someone give me more information on this please. The magnolia tree I have is haveing a very difficult time. Several years ago when the house we live in we rented out wich was also the year of a big drought was never watered almost didnt make it and is still having a hard time. The tree has been here since 53 and was very healthy until that one year.So being has it may Im worried about loosing it and wanted to know about the seeds so I can maybe starte another one .

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Morowe, I don't know for sure. Mine are usually always red when the pods first open. BUT the red is just a covering that rots away leaving a tan seed. Look at my second pic for this tree: http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/28224/ You can see the tan seeds in the peat moss ~ these are after most of the red covering and pulp has rotted away. They kind of look like a fat sunflower kernel. If you have any seeds that look like that, I'd try them.

I've never germinated any of these yet, but have done a LOT of research on how to do it. Seems that the best way is to keep them in moist peat moss in the fridge for three months or so, then sow, keeping moist and warm until they germinate.

These usually reseed themselves in other parts of the south, but my tree has been here in dry Texas for 25 years or more and I've never seen any seedlings until this past year. I spotted one down by the creek. HOW that seed got all the way down there I have NO idea! It somehow made it's way down there where it stayed moist all winter long. That leads me to believe that the cold MOIST treatment over winter is the ticket.

If your tree hasn't made any seeds, you may look into rooting some cuttings or even air layering a couple branches. If you aren't familiar with doing either one of those things let me know and I'll help or direct you to a couple good websites with instructions.

Lima, Peru

I live in Perú,(South America), and just discovered a 60 year old Magnolia tree in my city (Lima);asked the owner to give me some seeds and also some stems,can anyone tell me the best way to do an appropriate cutting?could any one send me some pictures of this procedure?
Thanks a lot
Jackie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.