4 o clocks won't bloom

San Francisco, CA

Look at my neat little rows, I nursed them from seedlings, and now I have one flower to show for it. From San Francisco.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

They sure look healthy. How long in the ground? Mine zoom up to 3 or 4 feet fast but Ihave had them for years! And as wide. I never intentionally fertilize mine, but I am sure they get hit with MG as I foliar feed. As this is the first year, I bet next year they will take off from tubers and be much bigger. I have ried to dig my tubers out and it is impossible. they go down forever and if you event leave a little piece in there they come right back. I predict that next year you will be posting that they are taking over your yard and you wonder why you planted them in the first place!!

San Francisco, CA

I thought they were annuals and I am planning to take them out as soon as they bloom, I shall remove them all. I hope that does not happen to me since they don't bloom any way, why would I want them to come back?

But they will................. I PROMISE!!!

San Francisco, CA

I have been thinking if they are tubers maybe I should leave some of them in maybe being a few years old would give me your good results? On the other hand, if they are very invasive I had better take them out. I am planning to do some research on them to help me decide what to do. They look like they could be on the verge of really blooming if the weather stays warm.

They will bloom! They just spill tons of seed all over! and they germinate very easily. so if you leave them in make sure you pull up all the seedling ASAP before they put down their roots!

San Francisco, CA

I just read that it is possible to remove the tubers for winter storage. Maybe that is what I shall do. I think saving only the largest tubers and elimating the seedlings would give me a jump on the second year.

Are you going to the Walnut Creek Plant swap? It is Sept. 29, I posted it under Garden Events. I went to the San Leandro one earlier this year, and we had a big turn out. You could bring some of those seeds that you want to get rid of. I am also planning to have a party for plant people but not until next year, because my garden is in the planning stages right now. And I need to refinished the deck.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

Bug girl, they definitely get better the 2nd, 3rd year etc. if they freeze back they come back bigger and fuller every year. the tubers will be huge, you don't have to pull them up for winter. just make absolutely sure you put them where you want them, the tubers get huge and so do the side roots.... takes a pick axe to get them out. hummers and butterflies love them.

I agree with Arlene, Bug Girl. Why make more work for yourself? Just leave them in. I cut them down just as they start to heavily put out seed and then the next year they regrow. Believe me they are the easist plant around to grow! I have had a horrible time trying to dig out the tubers. Of course my plants are tight together, maybe if you had room to dig a deep, big hole.

I had no clue that there was a San Leandro plant swap. People all from Dave's?

San Francisco, CA

I have been to the San Leandro plant swap twice, it happens every year at the same place. I found out about it, a couple of years ago on the Garden Web. You can go there and read but if you want to post, it costs money just like Dave's. I did not see any local people with events listed on Dave's Event page, so I posted the information with permission from the Hostess. I also went on the annual Camilla tour which was in Walnut Creek, this spring.

I have to dig up the tubers because I don't have them planted with enough space to get very large. I was not sure how big they would get. I have limited space so I have to move things around a lot. Yards tend to be small in San Francisco, but I make do with what I have. Maybe I can put them in the freezer? We never have a frozen ground. I have a small dorm room size refrigator I use for soda and bulbs, I wonder if I put them in the freezer part of that, if it would work out? I put some frozen food in there once but it does not get as cold as a regular freezer, so the waffles were hald frozen and soggy.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

Bug girl, if it were me (LAZY)... i'd just pull out the ones i didn't want next spring, thin them. you can also stick them in pots with soil and they'll come back in the screen. i never heard of storing the roots like that, but they are perrenial here anyway. some old stands of them around here get 6-7 feet tall, awesome critter food.

Good idea Arlene, just thin the ones you have once they flower so you know which colors you want to keep. If you decide you do not want any where they are just pull them all and toss and restart in sprint in a permanent place by just tossing a few seeds out, right on the ground.

I do not think freezing will ever work, LOL!! Even in a bad freezer. I do not believe they need the cold anyway like tulips do to flower.
These are like weeds, not worth worrying over. believe me!

This message was edited Tuesday, Sep 3rd 11:15 AM

San Francisco, CA

For some reason all of them are purple, I got the seeds all in one color, but when I check Thompson and Morgan, it looks like they are only selling mixed colors right now. Maybe these were failers?

so they are all flowering now? Mine self hybridize. I have yellows splotched with red. all kinds off weird combos. Purple sounds so beautiful!

San Francisco, CA

No, they are not really flowering yet, I took out some of the smaller ones to make more room.

San Francisco, CA

They are blooming now, I only have four left, two purple and white, one purple and one magenta. I am thinking of bringing the magenta one to the plant swap on Sunday. I also have a plant called Golden Nugget, which I can divide up. If anyone is interested in these send me an email. The event information is posted in the event forum.

I can't find an event forum Bug Girl.

San Francisco, CA

Dear Kell, the forum is called Garden Events, but maybe I should have also posted in plant trading because this is a swap, but some sites frown on double posting in multiple forums. If you still can't find it, I can send the information to your email. If you come can you bring me a yellow four o clock?

thanks I found it!!
Bug girl, the site you have listed:
"[email protected]
The above was posted for an information website."

comes up as an ad for a company called CMG,Inc.

thanks for checing it out for me.

I have yellow seeds..........will that due?

San Francisco, CA

Yellow seeds would be fine, but I guess I will have to plant them next year. I thought you had a large number of mature plants you wanted to get rid of? What about Orange?

I pulled them out or cut them down, but there are some that escaped.........i will look. Once they go to seed they are done for the year............. at least in my yard. An dthey are going to seed now. No orange that I remember

San Francisco, CA

I understand now, this my first time with them, so I have never seen them go to seed. I am planning to just pop them out of the ground and store them over winter. Be sure to check on the trading forum, I posted a picture of my Golden Nugget which I am also bringing to trade with.

why got to all that trouble? Do you want to move them?

San Francisco, CA

Yes, I want to move them but also I want to really turn that bed before the spring bulbs go in. Also I could put something else in there for winter color such as ice landic poppies.

San Francisco, CA

I was planning to dig up the magneta four o clock, but upon further consideration, I think the lush top growth would break off in transport, because it is so top heavy. This has happend before when I try to move the four of clocks they break off at the base near the root line. Then on another occasion I moved one of the larger plants and it became very defleated in appearance. But, when the four of clocks were small, and before they had bloomed, I was moving them all over the place and they were transplanting very well. This may have been before the tuber was fully developed.

I just cut them off at ground level frequently. It is too hard to try to get all of hte tuber out. They go down very far. They come back even if you just leave a little piece in! I plant around them.

San Francisco, CA

Yeah, it sound almost like we are talking about two different plants. I will post a picture of the magenta four o clock. Maybe yours have naturalized?

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl

No, looks like the same plant to me. You know they will hybridize themselves and you will get all sorts of neat color combinations. Send me your address and I will send you some yellow seeds.

oops

Thumbnail by Kell
San Francisco, CA

Wow, how did you post a double picture like that? I posted a picture of my gourds, but I wanted it to be a double picture so people could see both of them at the same time.
I also found out someone had four o clocks that fell over, I had that problem with the flanders poppies.

download IrfanView free from the web and it will do it when you click on panorama and select the photos you want to include.

San Francisco, CA

Ok, I use Irfan view all the time in fact. I am wondering what is the largest I can make my photo? I use the 680 size for Daves but the Garden Web won't take that size. So I have to reduce it by 25 percent more. Some people seem to be albe to post the photo inside the post, and make it bigger then me as well. I don't know html, so I don't know how to do this. I guess this is question for the photo forum.

When I look at your photo, I can not recognize your four o clocks as being the same plant as mine. I see flowers but not much plant. They look very nice, notice mine are not blooming as much as yours.

well if you have IrfanView, go to panorama, make your side by side or top and bottom 2 or more pictures merge together. then go to resize and click on first choice, I believe it is 640X480 and click on it, if you want it smaller then clickon half an dit will half it.

your plant is exactly like mine but younger.

here are some I have going now. See how they have mixed colors........white and yellow on 1 bloom and some all yellow. I have had these bi-colors in pinks also. So pretty!

This message was edited Wednesday, Nov 20th 12:01 AM

Thumbnail by Kell
San Francisco, CA

That is very pretty, I have purple and purple and white like that, but it is one two different plants. I saw some yellow ones on the net, that were six feet tall and looked great so I decided I wanted some yellow ones, but it took two seasons to get big like that.

I have seeds from an all yellow and from these. I do not know if they will get 6 feet though. I cut mine all down constantly but I have never seen 6 ft 4 O'clocks anywhere. I think these self hybridize which where the bi colors come from. I will mail you some seed.

San Francisco, CA

I was just reading the old posts, and you mentioned that you do not have a purple one? Maybe I can give you some purple seeds, but I don't how to collect them? Here is a photo of one of the flowers.

Thumbnail by Bug_Girl
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Gee...I don't have your troubles...the deer eat them before they bloom, so I don't even know what colors they are.

I had better not put them inside the deer fence, or they might take over though. I am planning to redesign what's inside the fence.

San Francisco, CA

No deer in San Francisco, but if I lived some place with deer, I am sure it would drive me crazy. Shooting them is out of the question. What if you leave them straw or something? Maybe that would just make it worse?

Hi Bug girl.....I will send seeds next week, I have been so busy. When yours go to seed you will know it. They get large seeds that you can see in each flower in the clusters. They are big and black and you can just pick them out or shake the plant and the fall all over. they do it all at once at the end of the season.

Thanks for the offer, LOL, but I am the one that is trying to get rid of them!!! LOL!!! You do not need to trade with me, I am happy to share what I have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images