DD's room is in progress!

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

I've finally made some progress with a room in the house!
My goal in this room is to have the dream room for a little girl, and I think that I am on my way :)

The room was first painted with lavendar paint. Then, I did a reverse stencil technique with butterflies. The butterfly clipart was sent to me by SMSpear1 (thank you!!!). I mixed my own glaze using the original lavendar paint. At first, I just added white to the paint, but there wasn't enough contrast for the butterflies to show up, so I ended up darkening the paint color and adding water. I rolled the paint on with a small roller, then wiped it in swirls with an old sock. I don't know how well the texture shows up in the pictures, but the effect is stunning! It really looks dreamy in there.

Dave added the shelving all the way around the top to hold all of her collectables, and to keep them safe :)

Now, I need to add a little artwork on the walls, and find some bedding and curtains.

http://davesgarden.com/gj/trish/viewentry/6182.html

Trish

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

What a delightful room you are creating. The effect on the walls is very professional looking. You should have one very happy little girl!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Trish, I just love it! Will you come do my dd's next??? What a great room! Lisa

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Trish, this is looking really great!!!! I'm getting inspired to start back in on Shelby's room - I have about half the wallpaper stripped off, but haven't brought myself to finish it - I used the nice weather as an excuse to play in the dirt instead! But I love how yours is turning out, so maybe it's time to get busy on my project here......thanks for posting the pictures!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Trish,

That really looks great! So talented. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy her "new room". I need to paint inside too. I can only do it when the windows can be open because of the bird. And right now, I'm too busy playing in the dirt too! LOL!

Sharon

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

It looks so dreamy Trish! I'm sure that your daughter will have many magical memories in that room :)
Trish

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm almost psyched up enough to take the plunge on DD's room. I'm thinking now's the perfect time to do it, and surprise her when she gets back from Nana and Grandpa's house. The wallpaper's stripped, it'll take me a few days to paint the trim, and then I can take the plunge on the walls.

I'm going to try Trish's "old sock" technique to glaze the walls, although this bedroom will be painted in a pale pink instead of lavender. What do I use to darken the base wall color?

I'm also thinking of getting one of those 2' tall picket fence stencils and "whitewashing" a fence around the lower portion of the walls, after I get them painted and glazed. Any thoughts or do's/don'ts with it?

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Vols,

I started out trying to go lighter with my glaze than the base coat, but my butterflies wouldn't show up, so I went darker. I'm pretty famous for saying "its just paint" :)
What I did was take the original paint, mix with white (left over elsewhere, and mix with water- this is the color that was too light. From there, I added a whole bottle of red craft paint, and some deep lavender craft paint that I had laying around...I added the deep lavender a little at a time until I had the color I wanted. Here's a tip for you...if you have an old large jar...like a mayo jar- that's what I use to both mix the paint, and keep the leftovers in. If you keep the lip of the jar clean, it is perfect to just shake up and pour your mix with, and shake up for those later tiny touch-ups. Much easier than trying to pry the lid off a big paint can. Once you add the water to the paint, you'll be very surprised at how far your mix will go. I did DD's whole room with less than half a jar of the glaze, and it only took me about an hour.

Big stencils and I don't get along really well because I tend to be impatient. The less paint you use, the better off you are (thus, my problem). Also, I've found that if you remove the stencil as soon as you paint inside, you get a cleaner line (just like when you are painting stripes, or trim). Also, I found that the shading really does make a difference. When I first started stenciling, I never used shading, but the first time I did, even Dave went on and on about how good it looked. To shade, dip your stencil brush in a color (I suggest grey for your fence), and wipe off almost all of the paint on a paper towel, then rub the brush on the very side of the fence board- each one. Its easier to do this as you go, so have seperate brushes.

I can't wait to hear (and see!!) your results!

Trish

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Trish! I am painting my daughters room Pink w/white trim. And she wants Dark Purple accents, and lavendar leopard print light accent. I have started the curtains,pillow cases,bedskirt(a strip of fabric to fit attached to the bed spring box with velcro.) Dark Purple Fabric is about 1.89 a yard.(Walmart) I will recover her comforter w/ new fabric. The Leopard print is about 2.89 a yard. Im no whiz with the sewing machine but I copied some already make curtains. I ironed out them to the design, with spray starch. And sewed them in about an hour last night. I will make a chair cover next. And you can make her a hanging lamp out of 2 large embroidery hoops, hot glue poster board around it. Then buy the lamp insides(w/long cord), glue 2 dowels on top w/ the lamp part into it. Then cover with the matching fabric.You can add a chain to the cord or cover with fabric as well. I am so excited. It is such a coincidence , I am making her a little girls dream room too. OH also. I bought her a book shelf to the ceiling.( bolt it to the wall)in white for 29.00 Not too bad.(Walmart)
Next My sons room! I already made his curtains, a woodsy print w/ bears, and canoes,almost an old west look to it. His room will be Blue. And his furniture is a wood look.
Oh Trish One more easy cool thing. You take a piece of plywood large enough to make a head board, cover w/ batting and the matching fabric(hot glue gun again!). Attach to bed, Wha-La instant headboard! Isnt this fun!

Trish, waiting to see the finished room. Really looks nice.
Wish I had a room like that when I was young.
Do keep us posted

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.