Fanflower (Scaevola aemula)

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Beautiful bloom in zone 5A beginning in late summer and still going strong!

Common name: Fanflower
Family: Goodeniaceae
Genus: Scaevola
Species aemula

Thumbnail by Morph
Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Ooooh, this was one of my favorite new things this year. I had never seen it before, and suddenly it was everywhere. I splurged and bought one, and enjoyed it for several weeks. Then I put it in the front beds because it was supposed to have full sun, and the grasshoppers devoured it. I think there might still be a few bare stems, and if so I will try to winter it over in the greenporch. I love this little cutie!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Aimee, I tried so hard to grow the Texas Bluebonnets! I grew at least 6 different batches and in the end, I had about 6 seedlings that I was able to plant outside. Those 6 didn't fair too well :( So, I think Scaevola will have to replace my love of the Texas Blue Bluebonnets. Of course I'm going to try and harvest seeds from this, too, like the Amaranthus.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I would like to know if you find seed on Scaevola. I think I read it won't produce any, but was watching to see for sure until the hoppers intervened. As for the bluebonnets, some say they will grow in every state in the union, with the possible exception of Alaska, and lupines do grow there so a determined soul might make them grow. But there are good years and bad years here. This was not a good year for them here. I will send you more seed if you want to try again, or I will renew my offer to send seedlings next year. For what it's worth, I tried over and over for many years, couldn't get a single seed to germinate. Finally, a few made it, and it's been easy since then. Same with Rosa Montana. It's weird.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.