Corkscrew Vine (Vigna caracalla)

The seedpods are quickly fattening up. You can now see the bumps indicating the seeds within.

Common name: Corkscrew Vine
Family: Fabaceae
Genus: Vigna
Species caracalla

Thumbnail by dave
Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh Dave - thanks for posting. Mine is just about to bloom - now I will know what to look for later. I was afraid I would need to root it, & my little GH is going to split it's sides this winter, Lol!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

WOW so interesting.. I never had or grow the corkscrew vine before. I MUST have this one for next spring!!!!! I am going to ask around for the seeds to share with me for next spring! :o)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Now here you are teasing me with seed pods???? Mine is covered with buds, taking over a weeping willow and still not a bloom in sight! And you have seeds?????????? LOL

Azalea, no need to root them if you have those seeds. I started many by seed this year and they did just fine. And it's much easier growing these as annuals than it is to overwinter the cuttings.

For folks up north, overwintering cuttings is their only choice, but down here in the South we have enough time to let those pods ripen (which always takes a couple months once the pod is set before they are ready for harvest).

dave

Lansdowne, PA

Hi, Dave, Thanks for the info about the beans taking a couple of months before they are ripe enough to use for seed next year. With our unnaturally warm Fall up here in PA this year, my plants have produced lots of seed pods. Maybe they will actually give me some usable seed. I have two plants, so I will dig up the tuber and try to save it in moss this year in my crawlspace. This plant is one of my absolute favorites, I first saw it at Chanticleer, in Wayne, PA.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, this is an old post! I only had one bloom and no seed pod that year, so never had the plant again - I remember it smelled sooo sweet. I did try to unsuccesfully root it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.