SOLVED: what kind of mushroom is this?

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Today I walked behind the barn and found this huge mushroom.

any ideas what this is?

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow!!!! Looks like the biggest puffball I've ever seen!
Did it have a long or short stem? That's a picture!!

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

shoe, there was no stem at all, just roots. gonna make a picture from the backside and post it later.

when I first sah that thing, I thought we don't have a white ball, where did that ball come from *LOL*
then I touched it and it felt leather. OH no ball at all *LOL*

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mercy! That thing is huge. I'll check my books. Hope you are saving it.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

shoe, please look for informations.

how do I save that thing? it's really heawy.
here are some more pictures from the back.

Thumbnail by zameluzza
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow....you have a trophy! I've never seen on that big around here.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

wow shoe, thanks.
I did not know that these mushroom can be eaten.
if my neighbour finds it, it will be gone *LOL*

I will weigh it later when I get home from work. now it's milking time for me.

will post back in about 2 hr.

thanks for the info.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

OK the mushroom weight 2 kilo,

my DH told the son of our neighbour, his dad will be over tomorrow.

there are all sorts of mushroom growing around some real old haybales.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, Zameluzza, I see dollar signs in your future !

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

GrannyLois,
how come dollars?
now I'm lost :)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

I think she means by selling the mushrooms. We're ALL trying to turn you into a merchant, girl! ROTFLOL!!

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

*LOL*
AHHHHHHHHAAAAA

No I'm not selling it!! He can have it!

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

They grow really well where old hay bales laid. I picked some about a week go and we had them for supper. I love them, but can only eat a little or they will give me gout. : )
But you have to get them before they start to spore. But the kids love to smash them and watch the spores poof!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ozarksue...didja just cook em in butter? seasoned?

I've never eaten a puffball...I've just collected them in the past for medicinal use. Maybe what with this rain we've FINALLY been getting I'll have an abundance of them and will get to try eating them.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I didn't know anything about your mushroom but I know beauty when I see it and the girl holding it is definately a beauty!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I love puffballs - they're delicious as long as they're white right the way through. I've only ever found the little ones though - you have to pick an awful lot of those at just the right stage to make a meal!
That's a fantastic find zameluzza

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thanks everyone,
zany that our DD Lorisha, she is 8 years old but likes to be a teenager ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...

No one wanted this puffball, and to be honest I'm a chicken!! I don't wanna try to eat it *LOL*

so this huge puffball still sits there.
what happend if I just leaf it there? does it gonna multiply in the future?

thanks
Carmen

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

zameluzza, it may dry out in the middle and turn brown. If so save it. I've never picked them at the white stage but often collect them when they are brown. At that stage the powder (spores) inside is great for your herbal medicine cabinet. They've been used for years to stop bleeding. So if you get a cut sprinkle the dried powder on it. I keep ours in a canning jar so it stays clean and pure.

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

We slice, bread them and pan fry them. They are wonderful, but only very young. If they get older (Ie: NO LONGER PURE WHITE INSIDE) they are no longer good. Then use them for the spores.

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

hope all those pics and the info get in the PDB

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Yummy fried or sauted just like a regular mushroom. Just make sure that when you cut into a puffball that you check and make sure, absolutly sure that there is NO STEM in there. There are a few poisonous mushrooms that look like the small puffball when they are young but they have stems that will develope later. Puffballs have NO stem. Only eat them when the inside is pure white when you cut it open. Be sure to check all of the small puffballs for that stem and you will be safe. Happy eating!

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

one of those links says they can be grown in compost would love to have some spores if anyone has any to trade

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

tis raining here now troy. should some happen to pop outta the ground I'll give you a holler.

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

cool thanks

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

you guys really eat those suckers???

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Oh wow,
nice to be back. had pc problems ( well modem ) and my fault to *LOL*

ok that mushroom is turning yellow and kind of soft now.

should I just let it be and see what happens next?

I would love to share the spores, if it has any. I have no idea what to look for.

when do I know when it's ready?

should I upload the to the PDB as Troy sugestet? but not the one with my DD.

Crested Chick, Yes I eat those suckers! They are delicious.
Zameluzza, I would put this thing outside so it doesn't go to spore in your house. There will be enough spore out of it to populate the planet!! Just wait and when it is dry put it into a paper bag and explode it in there. That way you will have spore to share with others. More giant puffballs will grow in the relatively same area so keep watching that area for more. They grow under the soil and the puffball is only the fruit so picking the fruit will not hurt the parent. Once I collected many many pounds of giant puffballs from the same area on one day!!! All were delicious mushroom steaks that we shared with others. All my friends thought they were very good tasting steaks.
Have fun, Lani

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Y'all must be very brave eating mushrooms you collect in the wild. Sounds like a lot of you have had some very good teachers in the past. Me, I am severely allergic to mushrooms and fungus (and mold), so I am not even tempted. Puts me right out of eating most foods. Boo.

Brave? No just smart to only eat ones that I positively identify!!! If there is any ANY shadow of a doubt about the mushroom, I toss it and don't look back. The ones I can id for sure are, puffballs, shaggy manes, and chantrelles. A friend of mine has a friend who is a mushroom expert who took me mushroom hunting several times and taught me the id of these varities. Nothing else is tried EVER. I am also allergic to fungus and mold but the mushrooms don't bother me as long as they are in the frying pan before they spore! Happy day!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

A couple years ago some morels mysteriously popped up in a cedar break along the backside of our property! Yes, I'm in TEXAS! LOL! My Michigancer Bro-in-law positively IDed them and we had buckets and buckets! We ate sauteed mushrooms for dinner for a week! Nothing else ~ just mushrooms. YUM!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm jealous, Wingnut. Me and a friend found some here (NC) 6 or 7 yrs ago, what a treat! Have never found bags and bags of them tho. I search every spring for them. (Even dug up some of the dirt where I know we found some and moved it to my land hoping to get a crop going. No luck tho.) Those morels have got to be the tastiest shrooms I've eaten!

I forgot that I also eat morels. Yummy mushrooms but I still like the chantrelles the best! Nice and orange, they are so pretty. I sure wish I could find buckets and buckets of morels or chantrelles. I would have joined you Linda with mushrooms every night. Just mushrooms for dinner sounds wonderful!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, man, it was!! They have GOT to be the BEST I've ever eaten! (I haven't eaten chantrelles, though. ;) Shoe, we're thinking of selling that part of the property because it's not attached to the rest of our land and I'm planning on doing what you did ~ transporting a bunch of the dirt over here to another cedar break we have along a creek. The bobcat will make short work of that. AND putting in the contract that we get to come pick mushrooms if they show up again! LOL!

Don't sell it!!! Keep checking for those elusive mushrooms as they will appear again in the same area. Just take some mature morels over to the other cedar break and plant some spores around but in the meantime you can still maybe find some on that other land. Use it as a tax write off for a mushroom endangered species forest!!!! Wonder if they would understand that that is the truth? lol

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

LOLOL!! I LOVE that idea! Heh-heh! But I kinda' got to ~ land prices around here are skyrocketing. It's separate from the rest and hard to qualify for agricultural exemption on property taxes since it's so small of a piece. So I can't afford to keep it. :(

BUT I mean it that I'm going to put in the contract that I can come pick mushrooms!!! And WHY didn't I think of the spore thing?!?! **kicking myself**

LOL Wingnut, don't kick yourself too hard. Just get down there and get a few mature shrooms and plant them. Kicking yourself will only hurt and not give you any shrooms to eat later. It may take three to four years for them to appear and I have heard that morels usually appear in soil that has been burned or disturbed so disturb that soil. Might train a longhorn to use her horns to disturb the soil all over the ranch and that way you can have an alternative crop of shrooms.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Yah, yah, yah!! I could name her "Plow". HahaHA! A "cow plow"! ROTF! And with the cattle, I'll bet I'll get more than one kind of shrooms! I'd better get a book on mushroom identification...I want dinner, not a trip to Oz. ;)

I've already got a bobcat that's trained to disturb that soil, even in places I don't want it disturbed. When Kenny was clearing a line around the garden to build a cow-and-sheep-proof fence, he tore up three of my raised beds!!! Grrrr...

FOFLMBO Wing you had a problem there! Keep Kenny off that bobcat in your yard. He could be dangerous again!!!!!
A cow named Plow. LOL would that be a cow plow? or a plow cow? Just don't let her plow you! OW. That would be a cow plow ow! I think I need to go back to bed since I am too silly. Lani

How now Plow cow?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.