Time to vote for your favorites in the Pixel County Fair!. HERE is where you can vote!

Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Lady's Mantle, Leaf & Bloom detail - Seward, Alaska - August 2002

Common name: Lady's Mantle
Family: Rosaceae
Genus: Alchemilla
Species mollis

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/179/

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

You have really put some great plants in lately. Are you going through your photos like I am?? LOL

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I've been looking through my folders for pics for other purposes, and making note of some that would go in the PDB, then adding them when I get a chance. It's so easy to get sidetracked in the Garden!

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Hello:

This is my first post on plantsdatabase.com. Great pics! Can you recommend companion plants for me? I have a border bed which is next to a privacy fence that my neighbor just put in. So far, I only have hostas, dead nettle (lamium maculatum "White Nancy") and some dark coleus that I am using for contrast. (I am really new to gardening, learning more each day....)

Part of that border bed is pretty much complete shade, and then about half gets some morning sun. What to do? I was thinking about using this?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Lady's Mantle doesn't mind a bit of shade at all. White Nancy is an excellent choice because the light leaves and blooms look so impressive in shady areas. Will coleus do well in shady areas? We can't really grow it outdoors here, so I'm not too familiar with its needs. Ferns are always nice in shade, as is Goatsbeard. I'm not sure how these plants do in your neck of the woods. Foxglove will tolerate some shade, as well. There is also lily of the valley.

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for your quick reply!

I am in zone 5, but nearing zone 4. My coleus are the dark ones, "Black Dragon" (I got a job at a nursery this summer just to learn and for fun! I get the first pick on all of the new plants that way!) I plan to attempt to move them inside and save them for next year. (Cuttings?)

So far, they are doing fine, but I think the whole bed gets morning sun. I am starting from scratch, and it is really hard to tell just how much sun vs. shade until I watch the bed for several days or even weeks! (My plants want out of their containers, but I am usually pretty tired when I come home, and I have two young sons that are playing baseball, no husband either.)

My house is really strange for this part of the country. It is a California style ranch house, with a flat roof, sort of Frank Loyd Wright - ish. With our cold zone, I am a bit uncertain as to what to plant that will fit the style of the house! (Not too fond of shrubs either.) Love this site, by the way! I am going to subscribe as soon as I get paid this week! :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I heartily recommend subscription. You'll find that there is so much good information, as well as supportive friendship on this site. I garden in a much different environment than you do, but a love of gardening spans the different climates and different conditions. You can get lots of good information here, and you can make lots of friends.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images