Rose of Sharon, Althea (Hibiscus syriacus)

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Common name: Rose of Sharon, Althea
Family: Malvaceae
Genus: Hibiscus
Species syriacus

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/788/

Thumbnail by eloopj

Thank you so much. this is wonderful. I have been looking for a the info on this flower for awhile. Hummimgbirds like it also Thank you

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

These are beautiful bushes. I got some of the ones I have from my grandmothers house before it was torn down. There are so many different colors as well as double and single blooms. I don't like the double as well as the single blooms. They come up really well from their seeds.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a lavender one with a dark purple eye and its the size of a tree. The only trouble I have with my rose of sharon is that the aphids infest it most of the summer, thanks to evil ants!

cairo, GA(Zone 8b)

hi,
this is a very beautiful bloom. does it have a name?
thanks, lamon

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Cowboy! No,I don't know the name of this one I dug up some of these from my grandmothers house about 15 yrs. ago when she was still alive. Mine are as big as trees now 'cause I don't trim them back. This one is about 6" in diameter at the base of the bush!

Norco, LA(Zone 9a)

From the color of the foliage and the color of other foliage in the background, it appears that the colors have been altered by a graphics program, such as Photoshop or the like.
Is that the case and if so what is the true color of this flower?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I took it with my digital camera and downloaded onto my computer. That is the true color. It may have been late in the day or overcast. It is an unusual color though unlike I've ever seen anywhere. All the others I have are that purple color like you see everywhere. Maybe it got crossed with a pink one by a bee??

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I absolutely love this plant, i have 3 in my backyard, HUGE, i trim them a lot, they just keep on growing, the one I don't touch is hard to get to, is pretty spindly, oh but the others, what a show, here it stays green all year, and does put out some flowers all year, but right now it is full blown.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I have 'Aphrodite' and it is a pink.....

http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/46278/

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

WOW langbr, That is a pretty one!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I really like this but as I've posted elsewhere on DG I've had some bud drop on this one and so apparently are a lot of other Rose of Sharon growers around the country. I'm not sure if this is a common complaint/condition of Rose of Sharon or not as this is my first experience growing it here. We hae had A LOT of rain this year which is very unusual. Not sure if that's to blame for the bud drop or not.

http://davesgarden.com/t/441044/

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

What I see here in N. Ca, they really like it with not much care, and not too much water, full sun, even in the 90's. I get yellow leaves when I water it more than once a week!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images