Madagascar Jasmine (Stephanotis floribunda)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The first time I saw this vine, I fell in love with it. It is extremely fragrant.

Common name: Madagascar Jasmine
Family: Asclepiadaceae
Genus: Stephanotis
Species floribunda

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53785/

Thumbnail by Calalily
Fort McMurray, Canada

I get the se sun in the morning and sw sun in the afternoon and the north sun in late afternoon and early evening in my kitchen/dining room. I bought this plant last week and it was in a small pot with a ring around and the plant growing aroung the ring with a few flowers. Nice smell to the flowers too. Well, Let me tell you that after a week my whole kitchen smells like this plant and it has just about filled in the circle of the ring with foliage and flowers!!! My husband thinks this plant smells like relish and onions and every time he walks by it he craves a hamburger or hot dog. I think it stinks but I'm getting used to the smell, INTERESTING plant. Is this plant related to the Hoya??? Just the smells remind me of each other?

Port Mansfield, TX

I recently bought two Pudica Plumeria, it is also known as hawaian wedding flower or bridal bouquet. I've not heard it called Madagascar Jasmine. It has no smell, but leaks a milky white sap if broken. Deer have been eating it. I had heard it was related to Oleander. If true I'm surprised they are messing with it.
Does anyone know anything about these plants. I'm not sure its the same thing, as your jasmine ,as it grows into a tree.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The plant in the picture is not a plumeria, and as far as I know, isn't related to it. I also grow plumerias, they require good drainage and live well for me in South Texas with some afternoon shade and protection from the wind. I've been to Port Mansfield, there are deer everywhere! We always take out of town friends there to see them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.