Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Jan. 2003

Common name: Foxtail Lily
Family: Liliaceae
Genus: Eremurus
Species bungei

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/905/

Thumbnail by hczone6

Need help!! I'm growing foxtail lilly for the second time. The first wasn't successful. Theses bulbs look quite active. I'm going to plant in there own seperate container in 3 large windows that get full sun ( south) Using a good potting soil starter. I was concern about over watering. I think i'll be alright once I get it started. I'm no stranger to gardening but I usually start with plants already up. I grew Dahila's for the first last year but a good friend told me how to start them off.

Thanks for any help. You could email me directly @ [email protected] as this is my first time to this site and I'm not really sure of my password.
Also great shots of the Eremurus. I live in southeastern Pa.

Heerlen, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi, maybe you've planted them to deep. The bulbs look like spiders. Just spread them and plant them very close to the surface. If your winters are cold you could cover them a little with branches, also when there's some late frost in spring and they've already shown their noses. They like a sunny welldrained spot. You could plant them on some sand to prevent rotting if your winters are wet. I hope this helps you because they are lovely plants to grow. Oh...sometimes they'll not flower the first..even the second year... once they're flowering they're reliable and make lots of new babies.

Saya.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree with what Saya just said. They don't like heavy/wet soil. I don't know if mine are still alive. They're in heavy clay that stays wet too long. I REALLY need to improve my soil! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.