Monarch Cats

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

on Asclepias perennis

Thumbnail by Floridian
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The next day the caterpillars were gone...so was every leaf, flower and bud on the plant.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow, those are great photos. I love the last one.
I had Monarchs laying eggs on my milkweed too, but never see many cats. I hope they aren't getting eaten by the birds.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Check for birds with a nasty heartburn or hanging upside down from branches, those might have been the ones taking a bite out of the 'unpleasant tasting' Monarch Cats .

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 4th 10:54 PM

Ellabell, GA(Zone 8a)

I thought about that just as I hit send, LOL
Then where might my cats be hiding? I had one female laying eggs on all my plants. Must be at least 25 plants, and I have only seen one cat.

Bark River, MI

I love those, they always make me think of the hookah-smoking caterpiller in "Alice in Wonderland" !!

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Yeah I was sure you knew about the non tasty Monarch Cat morsel since it's a distant cousin to you as 'Painted Lady' LOL.
As for the missing cats: maybe a infertile batch, predatory insects eating eggs/young larvae,...
It's still early in the season and there should be 3-5 more batches upcoming in your area.
Think positive, the one cat will at least not starve :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Do the big 'carpenter' ants eat caterpilars? My cassia was covered a day or so ago. Yesterday I saw a lots of big ants on the bush, one ant was carrying a tiny caterpillar and no big cats left on the bush...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.