Purple Heart, Purple Queen, Wandering Jew 'Purple Heart' (Tradescantia pallida)

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

"Purple Queen" does well in rich soil, well watered, and partial shade. Fantastic small pink flowers adorn end stalks all season. Left unchecked, in a pleasing environment, one could imagine total ground coverage thru self propegation.

Common name: Purple Heart, Purple Queen, Wandering Jew 'Purple Heart'
Family: Commelinaceae
Genus: Tradescantia
Species pallida

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1160/

Thumbnail by GBlankenship
Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm in zone 7b and this is the first year I've planted Wandering Jew. I'm having good luck with it in a partly sunny location. I bought it thinking it would be an annual, so to hear that it can come back is good news-maybe mine will survive in zone 7b.

Beaufort, SC

Just got this plant and it is the fastest growing plant of any I've had to date. In less than 3 weeks mine has overrun a 6" pot. Whe I got it it was in a 2"pot, one of the end had broken and I stuck it in the 2" pot and it's doing well, still producing flowers but not growing as profusely as the parent. That one is on my windowsill where it gets late afternoon sun. How big a pot should I transplant the parent to? I will be bringing it indoors for the winter.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Purple Heart will fill any size pot you want to put in! Here in San Diego it grows in the ground year around like a weed - a pretty one, fortunately. The more sun the deeper the purple color.

Thumbnail by WalterT
San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Amen to that! Such things have to stay in pots. They are beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.